Airlines In The Philippines II

Locked 1980 messages Options
1 ... 28293031323334 ... 99

Re: PAL Skytrax Rankings

Solblanc
It’s also possible that PAL didn’t have the money to keep paying for Skytrax consultancies during the pandemic…

Re: PAL Skytrax Rankings

Evodesire
This post was updated on .
It's just sad that PAL was all the hype in 2019 with all the improvements in service and the awards they were winning and then this year, it seems like ratings have gone down. I just noticed everything started to blow up when Vivienne Tan stepped in and started firing JJB and many of those responsible for giving PAL its 4th star.

Moving forward, I think benchmarking 5 stars without actually trying to achieve it has been a great help in improving their services. PAL's rickets are pricey as compared to neighboring airlines and some are already feeling that the fares are not worth it, slowly moving to other airlines to fly to US west coast because of lower fares but better service.

With Capt. Stan reinforcing that PAL is a full service airline, I hope they really improve their services. I think the World Airline Awards are based on votes, right? Ranking up would greatly help. I understand that 2020 to 2021 was all about survival and not rankings, plus PAL had to go through a lot especially that they were not much supported by the government unlike QR, SQ, EK, etc. However, we are entering 2023 and the industry is  recovering fast. I just hope the PAL focuses on system improvement for better customer experience and services. Last, I hope they really ditch themselves out of that conservative mindset in making decisions. Sometimes, they just need to be more aggressive and innovative. PAL is just too conservative and always on the "playing it safe" side of things.

Re: PAL Skytrax Rankings

frequentflier
The COO mentioned in the CNN PH interview that they’re now focusing on customer experience. That is really what PAL is known for. They need to make do with old hard products, but they make sure they provide excellent customer service.

Re: PAL Skytrax Rankings

Apparently, Skytrax has aversions for delay. What has PAL got nowadays? Plenty of delayed international flights.

Re: PAL Skytrax Rankings

Evodesire
Delayed flights and undermanned crew. They really need more planes.

Re: PAL Skytrax Rankings

Eurest
Recent reviews haven't also been kind to PR though the issues do involve 3rd parties.
The common complaints are:
Seat problems (loose tray table, damaged seat rests) [Line Maintenance-LTP?]
Poor transit facilities (lack of food choices esp. accept card payment, being kept in a white room having ticket&passports taken while awaiting onward transit) [Terminal 2 deficiencies-MIAA?]
Portion size for catering, lack of post-meal drinks service unless requested [MacroAsia?]

If PR is indeed interested in a couple more B77W, there are 2 ex-CX ones sitting @ Teruel, one in complete 77K config C40W32Y296 & the other in a C40/Preighter (no seats, monuments, etc)
Both 2012, deregistered from HK reg and now sporting Guernsey regs via TMH & BBAM
The other B77Ws available for sale or lease have F but there are 6 NTUs w/ Boeing

Re: PAL Skytrax Rankings

Evodesire
I was recently on board a PAL A320. Some of the arm rests were taped. Seats looked filthy. Loose tray tables. Only thing that worked in their favor are the professionalism of the cabin crew but thats it. They were even apologetic for the condition of some seats.

While there is Cebu Pacific sporting new interiors and even new aircraft.

I think the new management really got a handful here.

Re: PR001

frequentflier
I checked the flight path of PR001, and they flew over Russia. I thought there’s a restriction on flights over that air space? Or is that an exemption since it’s a Presidential flight?

Re: PR001

Exceptions to the rule. Head of State has that courtesy. Also, we have friendly relations with Russia. It is not Russia that stopped PR flight to LHR via Siberian airspace but west sanctioning the bank which pay for the overflight rights.

Re: PR001

Eurest
Russia closed its' airspace to 36 "unfriendly" countries in a reciprocal manner, and China has banned Russian registered Airbus & Boeing aircraft, afaik that's the only restrictions aside from the airspace around the "special military operations"
Carriers from countries that Russia deems friendly (EK, EY), still operate their Moscow flights and are making bank right now considering Y seats are 9KUSD 1 way.
America bound Chinese carriers also used Russian Federation airspace for US mainland flights like CA601

From what I've heard, it was the high cost of fuel that made the JFK & YYZ flights add the YVR tech.
As previously, the ULH flights operated w/ A345's were doomed once oil went past 120$
PR's fuel price hedge is more of an insurance one, rather than the CX more risky play of setting a specific price for a specified period of time.
I think PR has a westbound sector length of time & fuel price algorithm, as we've seen quite a few MNL diversions skipping the YVR tech stop for both YYZ & JFK
I hear both YYZ & JFK are going non-stop all the time starting November basically Winter 22

Re: PR001

Evodesire
PAL has 11 777s?

https://simpleflying.com/2022-deep-dive-into-the-fleet-of-philippine-airlines/

I think what they did not include here was that PAL returned too many widebodies that it is now catching up in terms of flight delays, cancellations, service, and reputation.

Maybe someone would be knowledgeable but for a C11 to get the nod, was it necessary to return that much widebodies? I never expected too that they would return 4, I was expecting only 2 A350s would be returned.

Re: PAL long-haul fleet

XWB_flyer
Evodesire wrote
PAL has 11 777s?

https://simpleflying.com/2022-deep-dive-into-the-fleet-of-philippine-airlines/

I think what they did not include here was that PAL returned too many widebodies that it is now catching up in terms of flight delays, cancellations, service, and reputation.

Maybe someone would be knowledgeable but for a C11 to get the nod, was it necessary to return that much widebodies? I never expected too that they would return 4, I was expecting only 2 A350s would be returned.
Could be them adding B77W to make-up for the loss aircraft? I'm more concerned with the eariler B777 (7777 and 7772) who's cabin interiors are dated now those PAL have plans to refurbished them with new seats?!

As for the A350-900 I've commented they sould have kept 3504 as a bake-up in case one undergos maintenence well its to late for that now will have to wait until 2026 to get them back! Or converted the option for 6 A350 to firm orders!

Cebu Pacific

 SINGAPORE — Budget carrier Cebu Pacific is planning to fully modernize its fleet by transitioning to more fuel-efficient aircraft as part of its sustainability initiatives.

At a press briefing here, Cebu Pacific chief strategy officer Alex Reyes said the Gokongwei-led carrier would gradually transition to a 100% NEO fleet by 2028.

In particular, Cebu Pacific is planning to end 2022 with a 43% NEO fleet, then by 2023, 59% of its fleet will be NEO aircraft, after which the airline's fleet will be 69% NEO by 2024, 81% by 2025, 91% by 2026, and 97% by 2027.

https://www.gmanetwork.com/news/money/companies/846185/cebu-pacific-plans-to-transition-to-all-neo-fleet-by-2028/story/
PAL on the other hand would never have the luxury of all brand new fleet as they have habits of operating older frames which they happen to own. CEB doesn't have one as all their fleet are leases.

2028 do always make a bell.

2028 do always make a bell.
B77W Replacement?  Anyways I don't think its nessecary for PAL to follow Cebu Pacific fleet planning although I personally think it would be better for PAL to learn from the US3 Carriers (American, Delta and United), especially Delta which is the most profitable airline of the three who keeps aircraft beyond 25 to 30 years! However unlike American or United they actually do spend refurbished there aircraft with in-seat IFE new seats and Overhead bins, etc.  PAL A320-200 (8604  to 8615) are younger then Delta they could added some features such as Streaming Inflight Entertainment and USB Power ports to make then competitive with Cebu Pacific onboard product while adding a new seat weither old or new isn't enough anymore to put it bluntly

Re: Cebu Pacific

Evodesire
To tell you honestly, even PAL people who have took some flights with Cebu Pacific are more impressed, to the point they (PAL ppl) feel their airline is so left behind. Quality of PAL has really gone down. Even the food.

Re: Cebu Pacific

jfsimi
I fly 2x a year LAX-MNL-LAX on business class. Yes, the service has deteriorated.  Imagine what the service is, in economy.  I do support PAL since it is the Philippines' flag carrier and I have been flying PAL since 20 years ago.  Sometimes though, I think of flying other airlines. My wish is that they restore the glory of PAL in terms of service and aircraft.

Re: Cebu Pacific and PAL

XWB_flyer

I'll give the new CEO some slacked for now though I'm hoping he will eventually settle and try to route out a new direction for PAL which won't be easy with war in ukarine and rising intrest rates which strengthen the dollar due to high inflation in the US which however affect many other countries currency especially the philippine peso which now depreicated to $1> 58.2 PHP and may even 68 PHP > $1 which could lead to reccision fears as for domestic travel don't be surpsied if many will vote for there wallet over comfort! Best for not only PAL but All Airlines in the Philippines to be prepared for this uncertantiy

Re: Cebu Pacific and PAL

Evodesire
This post was updated on .
Here's a PAL trip report from Simply Aviation. Somehow embarrassing for a flag carrier like PAL that prefers to keep old airplanes over maintaining new ones. In this case, people would end up taking Cebu Pacific with newer planes, lower fares, and seat charging ports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gLGmYqdgM0

Re: Cebu Pacific

Eurest
I have to echo the statement about the catering after monitoring reviews based on the Skytrax downfall.
I see hard boiled eggs so overcooked the yolks were green & the main meal was 70% rice. Only down to the corned beef option for not even a full flight. Flight, cabin & ground crew seem to be carrying PR

PR's fleet planning seems to be reactionary than 5J's long-term vision.
5J's fleet transition moves like clockwork, exercise call options on tenure, quickly remarket older aircraft and use liquidity for PDP's on new generation aircraft. Craefully spaced out, good mix of op lease, commercial bank financing & JOLCOs
A319+A320 > A320+A321 >  A320/N+A321+A333 > A320/N+A321/N A333/9 > A20N + A21N + A339

In contrast, PR's first widebody refleeting post-receivership RFP nets a Boeing response of a 8 788s + 4 B748i, while Airbus offers 10A333 & A321s? 2 different requests?
The price of the 10 A333s were cheap and the 1998 production standard A333s needed replacement. Why the hybrid FSC-LCC cabin, when competitors have the poshest cabins around to the points you'll be flying?
Exercising the 10 options, only to then cancel 5 in favor of 4 A343 leases when money-maker has been NA long-haul & 6 B77Ws < 5 B744s & 4 A343s

2 B77W in 2015, 6 A359 in 2016 & another 2 B77W in 2017 and use financing for the A359 pre-delivery payments? When A333s were set to be reconfigured, and the Recaro J B77W needed upgrades to Aura HD's plus the payment to the Gov't for terminal usage arrears?
No one raised the red flag then they maybe repeating 1998 all over again despite posting successive losses and expanding fleet size while a new airport was a decade away?
I wonder what H,H&R have to say about this? Maybe they can shed light on the method to what looks like money madness

Re: Cebu Pacific

Evodesire
Arianespace wrote
PAL on the other hand would never have the luxury of all brand new fleet as they have habits of operating older frames which they happen to own. CEB doesn't have one as all their fleet are leases.

2028 do always make a bell.
PAL never got over their old traditions even if times now call for a change, especially this post-pandemic time.
1 ... 28293031323334 ... 99