Airlines In The Philippines II

Locked 1980 messages Options
1 ... 25262728293031 ... 99

A350 lease placement

Eurest
TG is getting 2 leased A359s for W22 from either SMBC or Avolon; probably getting delivered this October
TG had initially RFI'd for 787's but was "swayed" to go for A350s as the add'l capacity was meant for expanding Europe flights this winter

So it would be theoretically possible for PR to get A350s from lessors if PR would be allowed to take NAIA T1 as its exclusive Int'l terminal, T2 gets expanded as pure domestic and T3 becomes fully Int'l as it was designed for.
Aside from JL, w/c T1 occupants do not codeshare w/ PR?

Re: A350 lease placement

Solblanc
I’ve always wondered about that terminal plan. T2 and T4 are clearly not enough to take on all domestic traffic. They would really need to expand T2 for that to work, and they’d have to expand it by a lot

Re: A350 lease placement

XWB_flyer

I personally think it would be wise to lease an additional 2 A350-900 assuming passenger numbers exceeds pervious expectations. Having a minimum of 3 A359 operating the MNL-YVR to either YYZ or JFK and direct would improve dispatch reliability while leaving a speare aircraft available for other routes personally I think PAL A359 fleet grow larger in the medium to long term from just six aircraft to between 8 or even 12! With the rest being the slightly larger A35K for flagship routes like SFO and LAX.

Re: A350 lease placement

It really doesn't matter improving terminals now as 2026 is fast approaching. JJB is just playing politics with good intention.

Peculiar State of Philippines AirAsia

I mentioned previously that while APG has plenty of A320 planes, it barely managed to fly seven. They would have wanted to fly more but they cant. If t their actual flight as against flight timetable is any indication, they would lose business soon.

At least APG spokesman Capt. Steve Dailisan spoke about this matter honestly,

In the spirit of fairness, I reached out to Mr. Steve Dailisan, spokesperson of AirAsia, regarding the complaints which he acknowledged and he explained how they have been trying to address these matters on site and operationally. Dailisan explained that part of the problem is related to the long-term non-operation of their aircraft, which now have to be sent to their regional center for mandatory servicing based on flying hours or time that aircraft have been grounded. Dailisan stressed that this operational bump is a priority because their priority is safety. All complaints were noted by Dailisan and he has promised to address them immediately, especially the suggestion of child-friendly facilities as well as monitors to clear seats and even bringing in mascots to entertain kids.
https://www.philstar.com/opinion/2022/08/24/2204694/curse-3rd-player

I would have agreed but they are half truth.

Re: Peculiar State of Philippines AirAsia

XWB_flyer
Not sure if this ominous sign or just limitations imposed by lessors on PAA? They previously ended service between MNL-GES a couple of months ago probably to focus on other routes recently they launch flights between MNL-RXO although it makes me wonder about there load factor?

Also like to added they been wanting to receive A321neo from Air Asia although still no aircraft at this time has been allocated to them it would help them on there High-demand routes which frees up aircraft for domestic expansion although that remains to be seen at this time.

Re: A350 lease placement

Eurest
AerCap is remarketing 2 ex-HX A359s to AD, I would not be surprised if more Chinese A359s esp. from ALAFCO get remarketed.
So there seems to be potential sources, as there seems to be even more and more A350 remarketings for W22

The Airline Weekly article on UA widebody RFP for 767 & 777 replacements

For the 777s, one factor that could influence United’s decision-making process is a promised performance upgrade to the 787-10. In the works since at least 2019, Boeing is planning to raise the maximum takeoff weight of the aircraft to as much as 572,000lb from the current 560,000lb, according to The Air Current. The additional takeoff weight would give the -10, the largest member of the 787 family that slots in size between the 777-200 and 777-300ER, a “major boost in endurance and productivity,” including either additional range or payload.

Additional range could make the 787-10 attractive to United for transpacific routes where many of its older 777s fly today.
That seems to be the latest news officially from Boeing about the Higher Gross Weight Variant Dreamliner
Also, theres an SQ B78K going to VCV and the suspicion is, its going for HGW testing

The B789's MTOW bump would be a useful payload increase for MNL-JFK and a 290 pax B789 w/ more cargo may be more profitable than a 295pax 278T MTOW A359 for MNL-JFK
The B789&A35K composite frame duo seem to be very profitable for EY, BA & VA
I wonder if Boeing offered HGW Dreamliners to PR instead of a B77X as the 2019 timeline is no longer possible.
Boeing to PR maybe: "Ugh we can't get you B77Xs in time for RP-C7777's end of lease, want a B789 w/ an even better CASM than when we presented it in 2016? Switching from B744s to B77W ended up great for you guys right? History might repeat itself"
PR to Airbus maybe: "Hey instead of adding just 15 seats, add 77 seats and we'll take A35Ks from the cancelled QR slots as B77W replacements similarly configured to EY's ULH 372pax ones"

Airbus’ A350 already has the capability to fly routes to both Asia and Europe nonstop from the U.S. The planemaker made a performance upgrade to the A350-900 for Delta that allows the aircraft to fly nonstop to both Australia and South Africa without restrictions.
Since PR's A350s are 2018 Standard spec, w/ the upgrade of previously hydraulic systems to fully electric w/ the upgraded Li-ion batteries, I wonder if the +15 seat refurbishment would also add the ICE rear galley and the higher winglets essentially making them into 2020 standard spec A359s

Re: A350 lease placement

Eurest
3508 is at HAECO Xiamen? Key things to note would be duration

The parties involved in MH 20 A330NEO acquisition were Seabury (did PR's preneg C11) as the "adviser" & Avolon (the lessor that appeared in PR's C11 exit video) as the lessor for half of the 20
Aside from that, the other things to note about this is what eventually happens to MH' A332s & A333s

How many of the 9 scheduled leaving PR's fleet this year have gone?
4 A359, 2 A321, 1Dash8?

Re: A350 lease placement

seven13
3508 in HAECO explains why PR112 is operated by A333 on scheduled today, AUG27 via ICN. I’ve seen YYZ being operated by B777 the past couple of days already.

Re: A350 lease placement

Eurest
Seems like the 2 PR liveried A333s @ CRK beside D7 liveried A333s ex RP-C8785/ 2-MAHY & ex RP-C-8784/ 2-RPCA are joining D7 as A333 # 14 & 15 staying as 309 seat J/W/Y config

At least the LAX spotters seem happy to see a PR A333 as PR112

Re: PAL Website Updated

XWB_flyer
It looks like PAL has just updated there website recently it also mentions "New Premium Economy" which I find funny since only two of the A350-900 and more A330-300 have them! I do like the addition of information regarding inflight aminites along with the seat map now being included in one page! Although I still think there some more refinement are needed to improve the overall experience.

https://www.philippineairlines.com/en/inflight-experience/cabin-interior

Also the website for Mabuhay Miles is also now part of PAL website which used to be separate previosuly!

B777

seven13
Eurest wrote
At least the LAX spotters seem happy to see a PR A333 as PR112
The return flight PR113 operated by A333 C8780 encountered clear air turbulence that resulted to 12 injuries, 9 pax 3 crews. Read the news few days ago.

If PAL would hold onto their 77W longer, hoping they would invest in newer business class seats something similar to KE's Prestige Suites (B/E Aerospace Apex seats) installed on their B77W, B748i, A330s and B789. Direct aisle access even from those seating on A,K (window seats). Although it will lessen their business class seats by 8.

Bits of news

Eurest
Just a few updates

From a non-PR source:
8 B77W +2 A359 enough for 2x LAX, 2x SFO, 1x YVR, & 1x YYZ/JFK
Summer '23 Possible Expansion YYZ & JFK to 5x & 4x LHR & CEB-NRT-LAX-HNL-CEB w/ A333 & final 2x B77W return
PR 112/113 on A333 data gathering for hybrid cargo strat & CEB-LAX CASM (initial projections needed 359 pax config)
Shorter sector still heavy, drop off revenue cargo on T-stop before continuing on final point
LHR might resume this way via China (i.e. MNL-CAN-LHR-CAN-MNL essentially merging MNL-LHR-MNL pax & MNL-CAN cargo flight) Apparently done before where HNL/GUM stops were for cargo with LAX/SFO flights?

Things that may apply to PR as well:
TG add'l 2x leased A359 delivery 12.2022
Existing A359 lease extended to 2035-'36 as part of TG restructuring lease deals, involves lessors of 3501 & 3508 + Amedeo

Event held recently at Kuala Lumpur attended by Airbus, Avolon, RR & Seabury for signing ceremony
MH A339's valued at 84M$ per, will seat more than A333 by 10 more pax to 300
AFS to take a few varying age A332/A333 ave. value of 26M$ per for remarketing as converted freighters & MRTT

DHL bought an ex-SQ 2014 made A333, same age as some of PR's A333

PIA RFP for 5x 2016 made & younger (age of widebodies)

Also if you want to monitor the 2 ex-PR A333s joining D7, SIAEP posts updates on their LinkedIn
Going for 11 active A333s this year, up to 15 next year
Will be replaced with 15 A339s in the next few years but before 2030 as the A330NEO manufacturing line seems to close by then based on GA A339 deferrals offer 1:1 switching to A359s by Airbus for 2030 deliveries

Also, UA now has 16 slots for MNL, but is now complaining about support infrastructure? Any info on this?

DL is only at 15% of MNL bookings pre-CoViD. Even the Mormon missionaries are now flying PR.
Might be a while before we see them back unless its a military charter
While PR even at YVR, YYZ & JFK, is almost always full even for a B77W

Re: Bits of news

seven13
Interesting news especially CEB-NRT-LAX-HNL-CEB. Seeing that this route is being considered, seems like the A321ceos will be the main backbone of regional flights ex-MNL unlike pre pandemic, some A330s are used to fly some regional flights like BKK(730), SIN(507), NRT(432), HND(422), HKG(300/306) for the 878X, PVG(336), ICN(468) for the 876X.

Currently, PR’s website displays 9 B77W, 5 A333(878X)  and 4 A333(876X). PR could always switch to a combi of A21N and A333 to SYD/MEL should it decides to fly CEBLAX via NRT. When a B777 went aog, A333 was subbed to fly 112 resulting to an ac downgrade on MNLSYD, PR fielded 2 A21N in lieu of it (if my memory is correct).

Does the PH have any 5th freedom from JP? I wonder if they would be able to attract pax on the NRTLAX sector. PR could be a good alternative to ZIPAir if ever. Also, if it would push through, we will see HNLMNL going daily with some days going via CEB. It would be nice if AA PR codeshare agreement would already be given a go signal!

MNLCANLHR seems like a long shot here. Quite skeptical it would happen. PR is already lacking ac and its widebody is running on tight schedule unless they have a band aid solution on the table already. But nonetheless, it’s a welcome improvement to PR looking for other source of income other than pax rev.

Oh and I was checking PR’s website mock booking to other US cities aside from LAX/SFO and saw that PR is also interlining with DL on some routes but mostly on AA.

United Airlines

Eurest wrote
Also, UA now has 16 slots for MNL, but is now complaining about support infrastructure? Any info on this?
If you are talking about ex CS, they have that for a long time for GUM, SPN, and ROR routes. After UA acquisition they only operate the home hub.

The complaints about support infrastructure pertains to T3 gates, and wanting to ease out other airline in their favor, so that they can connect the mainland flights.

If we are talking about mainline, they don't have slots anymore.

Re: Bits of news

seven13 wrote
Does the PH have any 5th freedom from JP? I wonder if they would be able to attract pax on the NRTLAX sector.
PR does have 5th freedom in JP. Tried exercising that right in the past circa 90s. Failed miserably. Seems Japanese has better taste. Pays better too. Just look at their airlines.

Re: A330neo to replaced A330-300?

XWB_flyer
Eurest wrote
PIA RFP for 5x 2016 made & younger (age of widebodies)

Also if you want to monitor the 2 ex-PR A333s joining D7, SIAEP posts updates on their LinkedIn
Going for 11 active A333s this year, up to 15 next year
Will be replaced with 15 A339s in the next few years but before 2030 as the A330NEO manufacturing line seems to close by then based on GA A339 deferrals offer 1:1 switching to A359s by Airbus for 2030 deliveries
It seems PAL maybe accelerating the phased out of there A330-300 eariler assuming an order can be made by next year or 2024 and decided to go with the A330-900neo it should be delivered by late-2025 or early-2026 and wit two possibly more A333 being re configured with 359 seater I'm thinking those could be transferred to GAP for both domestic and international ops especially to china, korea and the middle east?

Hybrid Cargo strategy

Eurest
Just to clarify the A333 hybrid cargo strat
Only 8 of the 9 A333s are flying, but with minimal utilization.
Only up to 10hrs+ on most days, parked for around 2 days before a 10+hr sector again.

So to utilize the A333s when they are no longer on flight hour utilization
One of the things they are being recommended is ULH flights w/ the A333 like LHR restoration but with a shorter 3-4FH sector stopover for fuel but also as an air freight flight
PAL720 flight but with CAN/DXB/SIN/KUL/BKK as both a technical stop for fuel, and a cargo point
MNL-CAN carries pax& luggage to LHR, but only enough fuel for CAN stopover departing @ max MTOW, carry MNL-CAN air freight
CAN-LHR drop off air freight destined for CAN, MAX MTOW again but carry fuel for LHR + add'l fuel for weight of fuel for CAN-LHR sector of PAL720
PAL 721 will be LHR-MNL but with a CAN/DXB/SIN/KUL/BKK technical stop, check how many tons of cargo can be added on stopover point based on # of LHR-MNL pax, carry enough fuel to complete the sectors.

As for CEB-LAX, PAL152/153 was set to return 5.2020 w/ B77W service 3x weekly
It was supposed to relaunch this S22 had fuel stayed @80$
They may utilize the 359 pax A333s, w/c are also meant for B77W replacements for tech/maintenance
Might be 5th freedom, or cargo as timing for CEB-HNL-LAX would place it during essentially rush hour for the Honolulu track, so flying the North Pacific track would be better

The 363s might be the earliest to leave the fleet, the lack of IFE, payload capability, lack of crew rest (using 5 blocked seats of original 368 seats instead)
D7 retaining the 309 config may be them rejoining PR replacing 363/368 pax configured ones on finance leases.
PR may already have a deal with Airbus for the 363s when PR gains ownership as they complete the finance lease term, essentially using them for prepayments on add'l A359s or A35Ks for '25 & '26
I still don't think PR likes the A330NEO, not enough payload or range, esp. since they've had A330s since the '90s
The 309s had a expensive retrofit, and still have a competitive interior product.

Re: Bits of news

seven13
SQ12 still being alive means or we can deduce that there’s a big premium market out of JP. KE also operating an ICN-NRT-HNL says the same thing for me. With PR’s current offerings, it’s way faaaaaaaar behind of what North Asian carriers are offering their customers.

Hybrid Cargo strategy

All widebodies that are on lease are PBH. It really doesn't matter if they stay on the ground. What matter is when they fly. Because that is when you start paying.

Having said that, PR flight utilization for its widebodies has been off the roof since last year. Best evidence of that is the frequent delayed flights to the Middle East, North America, and Australia. Best typified by A330 flight to LAX.

And only BKK is eligible for EU flights, as was previously discussed. The rest are just wet dreams unless you may want only for refueling for onwards connection. PR cannot load cargo from CAN to EU, but can load something for flights to PH. Does not really bode well for PR.
Making Sense
1 ... 25262728293031 ... 99