Airlines In The Philippines II

Locked 1980 messages Options
1 ... 50515253545556 ... 99

Re: A look at PAL Fleet Planning

Eurest
PR is perfectly fine and stable being financially conservative as it is.

First positive full year operating income since 2019, will enhance PAL's outlook towards lessors and financial institutions, perhaps finally getting rates for JOLCOs that make the more appetizing for the accountants.
More than doubling one's consolidated revenue's is confidence inspiring, but it must continue to do so for the next couple of years.

Engines and spares are still hard to come by, even AI's A350 deal is proving touch as RR still has no interest in discounts for a large order unlike in the past.

The terminal rationalization at MNL will help PR drastically, but until then, they can't truly gauge what their network capacity needs, and where they have even more room to grow.
Growing routes to better utilize their A321s (CEOs&NEOs) show they are looking at better asset utilization, and capacity buffer for when they restart their previous mothballed and planned long-haul routes.

5J's fleeting, and what they had chosen to short term lease may be more surprising to some here.

How the new T1 Mabuhay Lounge will look, will be a great indicator of what PR sees itself.

The latest transaction for PR was for an A333 lease completed on Jan 30 of the year
Though there are quite a few A359s available for lease

Re: A look at PAL Fleet Planning

Evodesire
Not sure about the livery but they are shifting on having a more vibrant and youthful look. They are breaking away from being a traditional legacy airline. I doubt that it will be a total revamp of their branding because these will include new FA uniforms, new livery, and new cabin colors. Well, I can still be wrong though. But during their 82nd anniversary, they did announce a "new look". To what extent, I don't know.

Re: A look at PAL Fleet Planning

XWB_flyer

Just wanna asked two question.

Why those PAL seem to be adverse to smaller aircraft example their plans for replacing the A320-200 with no other type on order will they replace them with the A321-200? Once they start retiring around 2027-2032. Which seem like an odd choice since not all airports can accommodate the A321.

Meanwhile Cebu Pacific has plenty of A320neo on order and are being continued to be delivered to replace their legacy A320-200! Also was 5J order book adjusted? If I remember correctly they only ordered 5+5 A320neo. But recently they took delivery of thier 12th A320neo and now have 9 more on order. Did they swap some of their A321neo orders for the some A320neo?

Re: A look at PAL Fleet Planning

JNC03 wrote
Will PAL rebrand?
Nope. It will still be the same legacy carrier. Livery will also stay the same.

XWB_flyer wrote
Just wanna asked two question.

Why those PAL seem to be adverse to smaller aircraft example their plans for replacing the A320-200 with no other type on order will they replace them with the A321-200? Once they start retiring around 2027-2032. Which seem like an odd choice since not all airports can accommodate the A321.

Meanwhile Cebu Pacific has plenty of A320neo on order and are being continued to be delivered to replace their legacy A320-200! Also was 5J order book adjusted? If I remember correctly they only ordered 5+5 A320neo. But recently they took delivery of thier 12th A320neo and now have 9 more on order. Did they swap some of their A321neo orders for the some A320neo?
That is because CEB fly them to international destinations. GAP doesn't. CEB also need the extra push with its dense configuration to fly farther. GAP doesn't. Because PAL is doing it for them. And like what I said again and again, you don't need a neo to fly domestic. It doesn't serve a purpose which the old one is doing fine.

Look, they are even re-configuring it to a more denser configuration.

Re: A look at PAL Fleet Planning

XWB_flyer
This post was updated on .
Arianespace wrote
That is because CEB fly them to international destinations. GAP doesn't. CEB also need the extra push with its dense configuration to fly farther. GAP doesn't. Because PAL is doing it for them. And like what I said again and again, you don't need a neo to fly domestic. It doesn't serve a purpose which the old one is doing fine.

Look, they are even re-configuring it to a more denser configuration.
I can accept the fact that GAP doesn't need the A320neo unless they will be used for it international flights (Alternatively, if GAP needs right-sized replacement for their A320-200 they could also lease for 2nd hand A320ceo built between 2013-2019 if they deem the A321 to be big or the airport could not accommodate it).

What about PAL though?, the A321neo maybe to much capacity for some of PAL other hubs CEB or CRK at 195 seats for international flights unless of course PAL doesn't care about right sizing and load factor like most other legacy airlines do? And accepts regardless of the uncertainty in the industry will focus on both the A321/21N for thier narrow-body needs which seem to be the direction their going with it?

Re: A look at PAL Fleet Planning

This question was already answered by JJB in 2018 prior to his retirement. The smallest fleet they will have is the 21N. While it is the smallest, it has 3 different seat configurations to meet capacity. That answers your right sizing requirement.

Re: PAL A321 and 21N fleet

XWB_flyer
Arianespace wrote
This question was already answered by JJB in 2018 prior to his retirement. The smallest fleet they will have is the 21N. While it is the smallest, it has 3 different seat configurations to meet capacity. That answers your right sizing requirement.
Three different configurations?! So besides the A321neoLR and SR configuration their is a third configuration being considered? Curious what that will be

Re: PAL A321 and 21N fleet

The word there is "seat". Not type.

Re: PAL A321 and 21N fleet

XWB_flyer
This post was updated on .
Should have been a bit clearer when I refer to LR or SR its for the seating configuration. Not variant like A321LR or A321XLR which have longer range then the current A21N fleet of PAL. Sometimes I think it can be confusing using LR or SR to identify the configuration of PAL A321neo fleet a better classification would be A32N for the standard 4-door configuration, while A32Q for those featuring the ACF configuration to reduce confusion.

Anyways, I'm curious what is the third seating configuration for the 21N? will it be between 168 to 195 seats? or higher capacity then 195 and closer to 200 pax, which may necessitate the activation of doors 3 pairs.

Re: A look at PAL Fleet Planning

Evodesire
While I understand GAP's decision to keep those old A320s, but of course they won't stay for like another 10 years. I am sure these would need replacements later on and all airlines can get nowadays are GTF-powered A320s or NEOs. 5J ordered 32 A21Ns and 10 A20Ns but eventually converting some of the A21Ns to A20N. Also noticed that some airports in the country like MPH, DGT, and RXS do not take in A321s. So I think what XWB is asking is what are PAL's future plans for the ageing A320s? While you did earlier mention that the smallest plane PAL will have is the A321, how about those airports that cannot take A321s like MPH?

Re: A look at PAL Fleet Planning

peterpiloto
The only thing they revised on the livery was addition of the belly logo on the A350 back in 2018, and the addition of the sunriser logo on the inner winglets of the some A321s and the A350. So far only 8613 sports the larger titles when it was repainted last year.
JNC03 wrote
Will PAL rebrand?

There is some speculation due to their change of design of pubmats uploaded on their official social media platforms

Old design(used before until their anniv event last month)

New one

Re: A look at PAL Fleet Planning

chowpau
Evodesire wrote
While I understand GAP's decision to keep those old A320s, but of course they won't stay for like another 10 years. I am sure these would need replacements later on and all airlines can get nowadays are GTF-powered A320s or NEOs. 5J ordered 32 A21Ns and 10 A20Ns but eventually converting some of the A21Ns to A20N. Also noticed that some airports in the country like MPH, DGT, and RXS do not take in A321s. So I think what XWB is asking is what are PAL's future plans for the ageing A320s? While you did earlier mention that the smallest plane PAL will have is the A321, how about those airports that cannot take A321s like MPH?
We have to separate PAL with PAL Express. PAL does not fly to MPH. PAL Express does.

It is up to PAL Express Management or up to Rabbi's team what to do with the A320s...

Re: A look at PAL Fleet Planning

XWB_flyer
Speculation on my part I think PAL Planners have an expectation that Airport which cannot accommodate the A321 will be upgraded eventually to either accommodate the type or replace the old airport. It seem short sighted but those make some sense if long term planning is being considered. I still think the A320neo is being considered by GAP planners if Airport redevelopment doesn't meet the time when A320-200 need replacement.

Another reason is both GAP and PAL fleet planners aren't communicating directly to meet each carrier needs. While PAL is satisfied with the A321/21N meeting its needs the same can't be said for GAP which needs to factor airfield performance and limited infrastructure of some Airport such as BXU, MPH, LGP can accommodate the A321 other mainly CTO, DGT, OZC, TAC and PAG. Cannot and are at risk of being cut from the network unless either PAL orders A20N or A225 for GAP or acquire 2nd hand A320ceo which may still have some life in them left or third lobby the government to expand those Airport to accommodate the A321 which will not only benefit PAL. But also CEB and PAA. DGT, ZAM have replacement being planned or developed while the other CTO, ROX, OZC, TAC, PAG have so far not have any word of development.

Re: A look at PAL Fleet Planning

Eurest
Q400s & A320 series should be enough for 2P, both 5J & PR see their 70+pax turboprops as key

PR focused on fulfilling pre-neg C11 terms like clockwork
1.22 & 1.30 lease of re-joining A333s = A333s the smaller widebody up to near future (parked ones will replace soon to be leaving ones) Lots of parts for spares, cheap too
& A350-1000 will be the bigger widebody to be finalized with possible LoI by end of year, not 10 abreast as range is key; 2026 production standard; Y+ to stay, fewer J not less Y (speculation should focus on this)
New airport means opportunity to add frequency, will focus on that instead of upgauge
new Mabuhay lounge at T1 [8.2023] to signify what will future PR be like
72% LF = untapped growth with current size (network&fleet)

5J all NEO by 2027 still kinda in play ...
Hiring ex-ICBC guy for fleet&engines might signal unhappiness w/ Airbus & Pratt (NEO wing on time, parts)? Even Avolon annoyed w/ A339 delays? SLB for 8
5J adores their 72-600s (whats rostering like & age limit for a 5J ATR flight crew?)

Turkish Airlines

Arianespace wrote

Topping list of foreigners from Europe going to PH in 2021 is Turkey. But that is not in the EU. Which also explains the double daily flight of TK. Followed by UK, DE, FR, and IT. Traffic is there but not big enough to justify flights regularly, without hopping. Now, its possible.
I mentioned this in December 20, (thread 35).

And then there was this,
TURKEY'S national flag carrier Turkish Airlines wants to strengthen its collaboration with Philippine Airlines (PAL) given the travel sector's recovery.

Turkish Airlines Chairman Ahmet Bolat told a media roundtable on Tuesday that the carrier wants to increase both flight frequencies and the number of destinations as the axis of aviation shifts to the Asian region.

"Turkish Airlines and Philippine Airlines have been codeshare partners for eight years now," he said.
https://www.manilatimes.net/2023/03/16/business/corporate-news/turkish-airlines-eyes-stronger-ties-with-pal/1882941
It doesn't mean that PAL will fly IST. It means it can use PAL entitlements for the second frequency, and since it cannot park at NAIA it fly onward CEB instead before heading back early morning to MNL.

And then, GOP agrees to increase flights to Turkey for additional seven flights for a total of 14, equivalent to 28 flights for both THY and PAL, reminiscent of UAE-PAL collabs.

THE Philippines and Turkey have agreed to double their air service entitlements in a bid to serve rising tourism and trade between the two countries.

Transportation Undersecretary Roberto Lim and Turkish Civil Aviation Acting Director General Dr. Kemal Yüksek signed a memorandum of understanding following consultations last March 28-29, 2023 in Istanbul.

Aviation services in both countries will benefit as a result, Lim said.

The air talks resulted in a doubling of passenger air service entitlements on the Manila-Istanbul route from the previous seven flights per week on each side to 14 flights per week.

Starting this summer, Turkish Airlines will be allowed to fly 12 times a week from Manila to Istanbul, five of which will also have a stop in Cebu. This will increase to 14 weekly flights next year, seven of which the Turkish carrier should co-terminalize.

Philippine Airlines will continue to codeshare on Turkish Airlines' Istanbul-Manila flights.

Both sides also agreed to allow third country codesharing, in which Philippine and Turkish carriers can put their airline code and sell flights on third-country carriers that have the right to operate and carry traffic on international routes that include the territories of the Philippines and Turkey.
https://www.manilatimes.net/2023/04/05/business/top-business/ph-turkey-to-double-air-service-entitlements/1885816
I understand TKs has secured a slot for its 3rd flight to MNL beginning w23.

Re: PAL A321 and 21N fleet

PAL at Perth airport inaugural with 21N LR

Re: A look at PAL Fleet Planning

JNC03
The design looks like 737 or A321🤣

Re: A look at PAL Fleet Planning

romantic_guy08
Hoping PAL can resume flights to Auckland by July of this year... what with the Philippine Women's National Football Team competing in the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup (Australia and New Zealand), and their games being in NZ... hope PAL can resume flights there... there are a number (me included) who will be travelling to NZ to support the team...

Re: A look at PAL Fleet Planning

JNC03
PAL president and COO Capt. Stanley Ng said the Lucio Tan-owned carrier is now at 92 percent of its pre-pandemic flights.

“We are in the process of rebuilding our network after a very tough pandemic period, and we are now at 92 percent of our pre-pandemic flights,” he said in a press conference in Perth, Australia during the company’s inaugural flight.

https://www.philstar.com/business/2023/04/12/2258164/pal-now-92-pre-pandemic-capacity

United Airlines

And so it was, CAB confirmed that UAL filed SFO-MNL-SFO direct flight in summer of 2022 using b789. The application was denied by MIAA for violating ACA 3 hour rule directive. Allocated slot is 4:30am arrival. It should depart around 7:30am or thereabouts. UAL wanted 9am departure. It was denied. No wonder they are asking for parking permission, which was also denied. I supposed Balabag parking are all taken by CEB  Another filing for s23 was made this year.

And guess what the traffic coordinator said this year:

ACA MNL Restrictions S23
https://www.airportcoordination.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/MNL-S23-Guidelines.pdf

Same restriction as S22. Therefore, the outcome would not be that difficult to render.
Making Sense
1 ... 50515253545556 ... 99