Manila International Airport

12345678 ... 23

MNL Terminal 3

maortega15
I've recently did one of my MNL turnarounds for CX and I was rather (un)pleasantly surprised with terminal 3. I haven't been to MNL in ages. The last time I was there was 2012. I have to say that MNL is still a zoo probably more so with terminal 3 with non passengers also having access inside the terminal. Even though terminal 3 is the newest terminal, it doesn't look new. It looks out of shape. The gate area doesn't feel like an airport. But the shops especially the food court were really a breath of fresh air which terminal one lacked. Terminal 3's deterioration makes terminal 1 look world class. At least, terminal 1's signages are now the same. With terminal 3, the fonts of the signs are out of place and not the same.

For departures, I had to wait for about 10 minutes to take off because of arriving and departing traffic.

Just wanted to share my experience with the new terminal.

P.s.: Kintoy, nice to see you here mate! It's been a while.

MNL Terminal 1

PR105 @ T1
PR 105 at Terminal 1

Re: MNL Terminal 1

tigz
Just curious how PAL is handling  the transfer of their pax from T1 to T2; I suppose there's a transfer desk their with customs to clear for domestic bound people so PAL can shuttle the boxes direct to T2 domestic and pax need not check-in their baggage again.
On the planning side of things for Sangley, have the feasibility contract been awarded? Such mega project should have some news on which consultants bagged the commission. Public needs some transparency!

MNL Terminal 1

There is. If your ticket say all the way to PAG you don't actually see your checked-in cargo until you arrive in Pagadian. Same thing happens on your way back. Nice isn't it?

There is a difference of course if you have a broken ticket, say YYZ-MNL and MNL-PAG on PR. You will have to carry it with you to Terminal 3. Your transfer however is free as the PR transfer desk is right there before the exit. For other airlines there is likewise a MIAA free transfer.

As to Sangley, Its been on the news lately, although far from the story you want to hear. Reality wise, it is awaiting YEN funding and go signal from JP after which NEDA approves it and bidding commences. As to when we don't know. Its a huge amount of money to raise don't you think?

By the way, just for you folks here, the proceeds from the regional airports PPP will go to this project. That is more than $2b of gov't counterpart money.  Laguindingan always comes to my mind when it relates to this.

CX A350

Why does CX have the habit of sending its new birds here first? Its first A340 and A330 did the same thing in the 90's. Just can't figure out why?

Re: CX A350

RiverThames15

Whatever the answer is, I am excitedly looking forward to flying with their brand new bird (and their T3 lounge) in July ;-)

Re: CX A350

tigz
Because NAIA have all the ingredients of a complex and constrained aerodrome? From longer holding patterns to close maneuver in taxiway and tarmac! And if something breaks down, LTP is nearby! So if they survive the test run here, definitely it will do good on the better major gateways! Just me....

Re: MNL Terminal 1

tigz
Nope, I believe you will retrieve your cargo from the carousel and run thru customs since NAIA is the point of entry from international. So for as long as you don't carry your box in the bus then that would be fine. Did have experienced flying out of CGY, didn't see my cargo till I reached YVR; of course missed connecting as usual!:)

CX A350

My flight happens to be earlier than yours. Also on CX A350. But not on the inaugurals though.

MNL Terminal 1

tigz wrote
Nope, I believe you will retrieve your cargo from the carousel and run thru customs since NAIA is the point of entry from international. So for as long as you don't carry your box in the bus then that would be fine. Did have experienced flying out of CGY, didn't see my cargo till I reached YVR; of course missed connecting as usual!:)
My cousin just did. checked through all the way to Mindanao. They don't have a box though. So could be a different thing. My wife also enjoyed the same seamless transfer after telling her. You just have to couch a hundred bucks or so on your PR ticket for the convenience.

Like I said in the other forum, convenience has a price. More so if you have the box in tow.

Re: CX A350

chowpau
Arianespace wrote
Why does CX have the habit of sending its new birds here first? Its first A340 and A330 did the same thing in the 90's. Just can't figure out why?
Maybe CX was conceived in Manila so they will never forget Manila as the birth of CX

CX A350

CX was indeed born in Manila, at the corner of Tropicana bar in Manila Hotel, one fine evening of September 23, 1946.

According to Roy Farrell, from the horses mouth himself, Cathay Pacific was conceived not in Shanghai but from the "Tropicana Bar" of Manila Hotel.

From his mouth he said:

'There were several foreign correspondents in Manila, and one afternoon I called three or four who were with the "Time-Life" (For the new generation, those were the time and life magazine), and I told them to meet me in the bar. We got together and I said, "Look, boys, I want your help in picking a name for an airline I'm getting ready to incorporate in Hong Kong." There was one prerequisite, I said. The name was to have "Cathay"in it. As we all know, Cathay has a kind of magic, doesn't it?'

After several drinks and much conversation we agreed on the name: Air Cathay. But, of course, that was not the end of it.

I didn't like the idea that my airline should have the same name as an airline in the comic strip. So that night we all stuck together drinking and discussing, and when the evening was over we had agreed on Cathay Pacific Airways.

With that decided, Syd (Sydney de Kantzow) and I signed the corporate papers on 23 September 1946.
Beyond Lion Rock: The Story of Cathay Pacific Airways
By Gavin Young, 1988

And there is more to it than being born here.
On Cathay Pacific's maiden voyage right after its registration in Hongkong, Farrell and Ke Kantzow flew its FIRST FLIGHT from Hong Kong to Manila and later on to Shanghai.

But because the British were not happy that an American and Australian duo was raking a fortune out of the airline business in the crown colony, Farrell was forced to sell the company to the British national, Butterfield & Swire and co. in 1948 due to political consideration, thus making it British owned. CX then had scheduled services to Manila, Bangkok and Singapore only. Note that the latter two is associated to the crown.

Re: MNL Terminal 1

tigz
The baggage option is a delight to hear. Not sure if this recent by PAL. Anyways, this seems you will have virtual immunity from customs, at least on the Philippine side of the trip. Well I normally pick CX via Mactan, its easier to transit there as far as my experience, they hardly ask about the boxes. Also, last time I transited with PAL at T2, PAL porters are pretty much automatic when they know you are connecting domestic, perhaps after the "tips" and they take care of your load from the carousel all the way to customs\transfer desk where I pay the fee. What is not convenient is going up to landside at domestic wing where you have to line-up again like the rest, as if you originated Manila. Is there anyway pax from international can just "transit" within the building?; if its done in Mactan why not here?. It petrifies me breathing that smog aside from the swealtering heat, age is catching up!

MNL Terminal 1

Well, if you happen to be coming from LHR on your way to SYD, you don't go down at all at T2. You go straight to departure area. Its even more better than HKG. The people at the gate just see your boarding pass and they let you inside the secured zone without the hustle of the usual stuff. More like pre-clearance in YVR to the US, but this time, pre-cleared in either LHR or SYD. Domestic transfer is a different thing however, and with limited points at T2 embarkation and disembarkation at T3 is the best option. I now see why MNL transfer is popular, at least for that particular flight.

I think you should fly PAL often to see what's new lately. Yes, its expensive by $200-300, but people do buy that for the luxury of comfort. I once did, and frankly was surprised of new things that was not there before. Please note about the caveat though.

Re: MNL Terminal 1

tigz
Indeed such a price to pay for convenience but its good that PAL is giving that option. If there's extra $ to burn why not? Any physical constraints at T2 that doesn't allow transit within the bldg?

Re: CX A350

maortega15
Coincidentally, CX's last A340-600 flight was to MNL as well.

Will most likely be on the inaugural of the A350. Still thinking about it but would hate to pass up a rare opportunity like this. Will not happen for the foreseeable future unless CX surprisingly orders the A380 or 787.

Airlines and T3

maortega15
Why aren't more airlines using terminal 3? Newcomers like Ethiopian and Turkish were sent to terminal 1. Is terminal 3 congested to a point where it can't handle anymore additional carriers? When I was there in December, it looked that way as far as people in the terminal go. It was really packed and hot. As far as the gates go, surprisingly empty with a few aircraft here and there.

Also, why was KLM chosen to move from 1 to 3? If anything, carriers with multiple flights should've moved like QR, JAL, KE, etc.

Are there any carriers that are in the process of moving or at least have a desire to?

Airlines and T3

The intent was to move the heavy user to T3 so that part of T1 could be vacated, repaired, and renovated. It so happen that the heaviest user during daytime appears to be CX (5x), SQ (4x), EK (3x) and DL (2x). KLM was by choice. NH was the only international airline given T3. The rest can't be filled in anymore after slots were taken by CEB, ie ME and OZ flights. As T3 is full new entrants will have T1 to contend with.

Empty gates meant held up flight somewhere above you.

Manila in general

maortega15
I'm sorry if I have to ask this and if this offends anyone, but does anyone feel that Manila is a hopeless cause?

I feel that way and by the looks of things, I don't see a completely new airport being opened in my lifetime. In airliners.net, foreigners as well have given up hope of a completely new airport being built. Feasibility studies and bidding's being done left and right and it seems that there is no end in sight.

If they really wanted a completely new airport, something would've been done ages ago. But it is what it is. Hell, it took terminal 3 ages before it finally opened.

Re: Manila in general

tigz
Its just the way it is on govt projects; even if there's private or foreign counterpart, its a teduos paperwork and approval process down from selecting the feasibility contract to awarding the design devt. Consultant and detailed engineering consortium.its not always the money sometimes because there is no shortcut on bureaucracy.
12345678 ... 23