Manila International Airport

1 ... 45678910 ... 23

Re: Airlines wanting to fly MNL

tigz
The report seems to indicate an act of courtesy to Clarks manager as oppose to persistence to fly into that airport; unlike NAIA where prospects are banging the door.

Re: PAL Kangaroo Network

tigz
Quite compelling but is one day worth it noting the smog and traffic chaos? I wonder what kind of hotel as well!

MNL Terminal renovation

maortega15
Are there any plans to renovate/enhance terminal 3? The signs in my opinion need an upgrade because there are signs with different fonts. There has to be some cohesion with the signs so they match. Also, the last time I was there in December, the terminal can certainly use a spruce up.

Also, is the renovation with terminal 1 done where they don't have to do anything anymore and that there are no more plans or there are plans for more work to be done?

Thanks

Re: MNL Terminal renovation

tigz
Their main issue will be maintenance and improving retail\food component which is becoming the core activity of airport nowadays. If you have pretty nice things inside, the outside can wait a bit. The other concern will be the washrooms, hope its not as bad as T2. There is no further announcement on T3s building works so I believe the next big will be after elections.

Re: MNL Terminal renovation

Solblanc

Okay, so elections are really, really close.

Do we already have an inkling on who will man the cabinet of the presidentiables? It's anybody's game at this point, but it would be nice to speculate.

Re: MNL Terminal renovation

tigz
Tough call!, new president means new appointee to run NAIA Authority. For the terminal to move forward, only one who knows the development contracts will have the ability to execute the next projects and more so to lobby for the immidiate ones.

NAIA

romantic_guy08
For those in the know...

How would you asses the performance of then NAIA GM Alfonso Cusi?

Re: NAIA

seastwofly
GM Cusi is fine for the job but not so good, but lately he is more busy attending family owned shipping lines.

NAIA

He was a great manager. Of course you must distinguish between running NAIA and CAAP. They are remarkably different. In fact, reforms he initiated inside the agency during his incumbency are still being implemented by Hutchkiss.

Re: NAIA

romantic_guy08
Arianespace wrote
He was a great manager. Of course you must distinguish between running NAIA and CAAP. They are remarkably different. In fact, reforms he initiated inside the agency during his incumbency are still being implemented by Hutchkiss.
Agree, from what I heard, he did well and was respected as MIAA GM... with his appointment now DOE, it seems his stint as former CAAP DG was brought up as being a disaster.... which I would disagree with... IRC, he was able to correct 80 out 88 SSCs by the FAA during his short stay in CAAP before he was forced out...

Incoming MIAA Gen. Manager

seven13
Any thoughts or insights on incoming MIAA General Manager Ed Monreal?

Incoming MIAA Gen. Manager

No hold forecast:

Contrary to popular beliefs, He will have the same problem as his predecessor.

Regarding a new airport

maortega15
Was watching the first cabinet meeting of the new administration and Du30 has expressed that the government does not have the money to build a new airport in Sangley, but if someone has the money and wants to be on board, he says go ahead.

He also states the need to address the overcrowding in MNL.

Regarding a new airport

Perhaps getting the clearer picture now, not from Tugade but the professionals whose been pushing pencils at DOTC. But murky still. Like what I said before we cannot afford to build a $10b airport, nor can San Miguel make one even if they have the money. The only way forward is ODA, nothing else.

I remember Litigs asking why Genav is still at NAIA, and Art Tugade insisting they are ready to move according to him, only finding that Sangley is still a military air base. Perhaps forgeting that civilian and military operations don't mix. And by the way, Genav operators are already based in Plaridel and Sangley could be an airport to you but its a militay air base under PAF which is beyond his control. Rookie mistake.

Charter operators are also classified Genav, and they, together with big airlines PAL, CEB, and AAP, happen to own long lease concessions on the sprawling genav complex. And I also remember DU30 saying his administration will respect contracts. Needless to say, these operators Tugade is talking about also happen to be BIG campaign contributors. I just saw some of them at Malacanang at the inauguration. Hmmn.

Tugade also wanted LTP removed from NAIA, again forgeting that LTP complex is an export processing zone by law outside the control of DOTC. See how the intricacies of government worked at NAIA?

I admire Art Tugade. But if he keeps on insisting these line of thinking, then he'll be the biggest disappointment of DU30's administration. And if you say Abaya sucks, then this could turn out much worst.

Presidential Protocol

Here is another Presidential instructions which cannot be made possible due to security concerns. DU30 has already made u-turn to his earlier pronouncement i.e. DVO commute that is against security protocol. This  is actually not a first time that a President requested to be treated ordinary citizen. Pnoy wanted this privilege taken out by CAAP only to be told that he is no ordinary citizen. He was likewise given alternative to fly at Clark to prevent disruption, only to be told that it costs more to the taxpayer. I told you already that there are some acts which the President cannot do. This is one of them. I don't know if he got Pnoy's memo. He will surely be frustrated when he finds out. Good to hear though.

And yes there is a presidential aircraft, use of which happens to be more costly to the taxpayer than a frquent commute from a commercial airline.

Re: Presidential Protocol

Solblanc

One interesting thing to note is that finally, there will be some activity at Clark. The previous admin seems to have stunted investment in Clark as a spillover airport. With the right infra, Clark could be a good regular airport for those in QC and northern Metro Manila. It's not ideal, it would be nicer to have the NAIA replacement now na, but Clark is the best way to go in the short-term. It's doable.

Clark Airport

Clark was a viable alternative had the railway project component succeeded.  It won't work without the rails. And even if DU30 wants Clark utilized, he will end up contending with the courts. There is simply no way to compel airline to use CRK.

The best way and most realistic short term goal is Sangley. Develop the expressway to Cavite City and your done. Should we start now, it would be up and running in 5 years. Rails can follow later. It could handle all LCC operations at 20ppa. Best of all, you can already work on the details of the much needed expansion. At the same time decongest NAIA and make it Full Service Carrier airport. But the government has to make it a civilian facility first.

New CAAP Team

seven13
CAA Introduces New Team

By Richie Lopa

The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines has a new director general, Antonio Buendia, who has replaced William K. Hotchkiss III.

Buendia is the fifth CAAP director general since the agency was created in 2008, replacing the Air Transportation Office.

Transportation Underscretary for Aviation and Airports Roberto Lim said joining Buendia are Jim Sydiongco, deputy director general for operations; Manuel Antonio Tamayo, deputy director general for administration; Donaldo A. Mendoza, assistant director general II, FSIS; Ma. Aurora Carandang-Gloria, head executive assistant; and Gil Macapagal, chief of staff.

Buendia has 43 years of civil aviation experience and is former president of Asian Spirit and the Philippine Aerospace Development Corp.

Sydiongco is a former vice president of Cebu Pacific and also was chief pilot for Philippine Airlines and senior safety supervisor of EVA Air.

Tamayo is former VP for operations of PAL and flew the Airbus A320 PR8010 that brought Pope Francis and his entourage to Tacloban and back to Manila on January 17, 2015. He was also lead pilot of the flight that took the Pope home to Rome.

Mendoza is a former Philippine Air Force pilot who flew the C130 transport. He is also rated for DC-9, B757, A319 and A320, and was Cebu Pacific director for quality assurance.

Gloria is the first commercial Filipino female pilot and the first to become captain of PAL.

Hotchkiss, who led CAAP for four years, said Buendia “knows what is needed to sustain and even to propel the industry forward and farther.”

any insights?
Hardly know them (except for Capt. Tamayo).

Re: Presidential Protocol

romantic_guy08
Arianespace wrote

Looks like Digong will have it his way... not sure if this is a wise move though as you would always want the president to make use of his time wisely and not circle above NAIA...

‏@ABSCBNNews
CAAP officially issues memorandum not to give VIP treatment to Pres Duterte's flights as per his order | via @jacquemanabat

Presidential Protocol

Not really. Certain Protocols were suspended. The President's plane still has priority landing and take-off except when his flying commercial flight, other than PR1 in MNL. But of course nobody bothers to know more about that. Because last I heard MIAA still controls Manila while CAAP controls its airports. See how politics play?

To illustrate:
DU30 Flights
DU30 Flight Priority
Making Sense