Manila International Airport

12345 ... 23

Manila International Airport

PNoy orders construction of third runway at NAIA

Reuters

MANILA - Philippine President Benigno Aquino has ordered the construction of a third runway at Manila's main international airport to ease air traffic congestion in one of Southeast Asia's fastest growing economies.

The project is expected to cost at least P2.4 billion ($55 million), and the amount may increase to include the construction of a fourth terminal at the airport, Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya said.
How can you construct something when the bidding for its design doesn't even fly?

We may have to see construction of parallel runway completed further back to 2017 at the earliest. Funny thing about consultancy contract is that government asked for more with less money.

This new runway is supposed to start construction by 2015 for an opening date of 2016 to be operational until 2027-2030 when Sangley airport is expected to be fully functioning.

With this sitback I am seeing, nay, I am predicting Sangley airport to be open around 2027, two years after the propose opening year if we're lucky. Otherwise, it should be 2030 at the latest.

And by the way things are I am also predicting Sangley airport construction to start around 2018 at the earliest and 2020 at the latest.

Already the news did not sit well for PAL which proximates its order to NAIA expansion. Even CEB is affected by it as it also based its aircraft orders on the new slots that will be open in 2017. It has 30 planes arriving starting 2017 to 2021, all 321NEO's. We should be seeing some cancellations or deferrals to some of them pretty soon.

All this decision (fleet expansion) having been made in 2011 when DOTC under Mar Roxas promised the airlines to take care of the facility, which is the airport.

Now they have no airport to land their ordered planes when they arrive.

The message went to the President. Thus, a call to Abaya.

As to Terminal 4, that is a misquote. The president said it clearly that he wants Terminal 2 and 3 expanded instead of building another one. And DOTC are doing the designs right now.

Do note however that building Terminal 5 for LCC is the agency plan. And as Pnoy said "What for?" the rest of the conversation got ugly. The point of the President there was that why build another LCC terminal adjacent to Terminal 3 when you can expand Terminal 3 to do that?

Knowing how greedy DOTC is, probably they will propose this again to Binay when he becomes President.

Re: Manila International Airport

chowpau

Manila International Airport

The flyover was indeed an obstruction but never a problem in the propose runway. It still clears 3 degrees from end of runway. And there are always solution to obstruction problem. Airport designers call it "runway threshold displacement".

New Runway

CAAP reevaluating plan to put up 3rd Naia runway

Miguel R. Camus

PDI

The country’s air safety regulator is reevaluating the feasibility of a P2.4-billion third runway at the congested Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila due to its implications on radar operations and a nearby highway, the head of the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines said.

The third runway—seen as the solution to air traffic congestion in Manila that is costing airlines billions of pesos annually—was earlier this year cleared by President Aquino.

Barring any order from Aquino, the plan is still a go, Transportation secretary Joseph Abaya said separately.

CAAP director general William Hotchkiss III told reporters Friday that CAAP’s technical study showed that the third runway’s alignment would affect the location for the airport’s new Communications, Navigation, Surveillance /Air Traffic Management (CNS/ATM) project.

He noted also that the alignment would affect part of the Circumferential Road 5, or C5, meaning this may need to be “re-engineered.”

Public Works Secretary Rogelio Singson earlier said the flyover connecting C5 across South Luzon Expressway would also be affected.

“We are re-studying that [third runway],” said Hotchkiss, adding that the plan was currently “a bit on hold.”

He added that it was unlikely the project, if pursued, would be finished by the time President Aquino steps down in mid-2016.

Hotchkiss noted that the relocation of the CNS/ATM project would cost money and a six-month delay to the start of the P13.2-billion facility’s operations.

Alignment changes to a major highway like C5, which serves as an alternative to the busy Epifanio De Los Santos Avenue, or Edsa highway in Metro Manila, could also be costly, he said.

Hotchkiss said other options were to upgrade more provincial airports to handle evening flights, allowing more flexibility for airlines to schedule flights as a way to reduce traffic in Naia at certain hours of the day.

CAAP was part of the group of agencies tasked to study the technical feasibility of the new runway, which would measure about 2,100 meters, or about 40 percent shorter than Naia’s primary 3,400-meter runway. While the length means it can handle only smaller aircraft, like the mid-range Airbus A320s, that would still translate to increased take off and landing events by roughly 40 percent, the DOTC said.

A crowded runway means airline operators have to spend more for fuel, while delays also carry their own economic costs. CAAP estimated that airlines lose at least P7 billion a year due to congestion at Naia, the Philippines’ busiest airport.

Read more: http://business.inquirer.net/180975/caap-reevaluating-plan-to-put-up-3rd-naia-runway#ixzz3HK2hj6O1

New Runway

Call it lack of foresight? Actually it isn't.

The ATM project predates the dream of the parallel runway. Because DOTC said they gonna build a new airport from scratch. So design plan for the radar station sits on top of the propose new runway. The new VOR is likewise there. As for C-5 flyover, it was approved by ATO because there was no plan to build a parallel runway then, and there is likewise a remedy for the obstruction earlier stated, and another approach remedy made famous by London's City airport. It is bounded by a bridge and a flyover with a bonus skyscrapers along the way.

Speaking of London, Air Traffic operator NATS Ltd of the United Kingdom is bidding for this runway project and would probably apply the famous London city airport approach procedure for runway 24L. Other contractors where Mitre Corporation of United States, and Copenhagen Airport of Denmark.

As for the radar, it can always be relocated and re-calibrated.

The problem now is that those airport consultants wont do the legwork unless hired. I think that is fair proposition because the job order entails costs which must be compensated by the government which DOTC won't pay. That is the reason why the bid failed twice because they are quoting above the minimum bid. Quality Engineering Designs (QED) happen to be expensive.

New airport

seven13
Those are big names! I hope it pushes through plus WE HOPE that the new airport wherever it will be relocated/built will push through!

RSA is quite quiet now with his cyberbay airport.

Re: Manila International Airport

Solblanc
In the end, this forecast was right.

I can imagine that the airlines are really pissed off about this.

At least Clark is there to take the spillover.

NAIA Transport System

Sharing some of NAIA's transport system nobody seems to bother

Terminal 2 Remote Transport
PAL Cobus 3000

Terminal 2 and 3 Transfer, and Terminal 3 Remote Transport
Terminal 2 and 3 PAL Transfer

Terminal 1,2,3 Airside Transport Service
MIAA Airside Transport

Traffic-free Transfer Service
T1-2-3 Airside Transfer Service

New Runway

By the way, demolition of Airport View subdivision has began all the way to Bella Vista to make way for the new runway, and some nice developments about the hotel

Re: New Runway

chowpau
So the condo apartment will be demolished too?

New Runway

I don't know there is a condo or a high rise building there. The highest I've seen is a 3 storey building.

Anyway, for those who know RPLL, N5 and N6 is also under construction. NTP was issued two weeks ago. Mind you this was in the drawing board since 2010.

Re: New Runway

chowpau
Yup that is the one sir. The 3 storey condo

New Runway

Are you referring to Bella Vista?  I don't think they'll be affected. If you live there that's gonna be one noisy place.

Re: New Runway

chowpau
I wish i live there :) i went there in 2011 when it was a open house. I rememmber they made a sound proof on tbe windows but viewing it there is drooling to watch and take pictures. On the other side of its perimeter wall is the c5 extension

New Runway

Its a good place to watch not a good place to live.

New Runway

The latest buzz at NAIA apparently is this news report.

Somebody told me the Secretary was probably misquoted about the consultant's statement relative to the new runway. Verification from the consultant revealed a different view, apparently saying that a new runway is best complimened by a new terminal located at C5.

Of course he did not figure how to address terminal connectivity as he was merely asked about runway movements.

Here is a separate report from business world which is more accurate

THE DEPARTMENT of Transportation and Communications (DoTC) is thinking about establishing a new terminal at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) to go with a new runway designed to accommodate more flights, Secretary Joseph Emilio “Jun” A. Abaya told reporters on Tuesday.

However, building a new runway may affect the operations of existing ones if it used current terminals in place, Mr. Abaya said on the sidelines of an inspection he undertook at the NAIA, dubbed the “World’s Worst Airport” thrice in a row by the Web site Sleeping in Airports until it slipped to fourth place this year.

As a result, the DoTC had the proposed option checked by Ruud Ummels, a Dutch consultant hired by the agency for the parallel runway proposal and the ongoing runway optimization project, Mr. Abaya said.

“What he’s saying, given the design... the challenge there is you’d have to cross the main runway. What the consultant is saying, you protect the main runway, you minimize the disturbance, maximize the operations. So definitely, putting the runway that crosses over will affect the main runway,” Mr. Abaya explained. “We’re getting the final numbers but it seems like the additional terminal in the same area would be less disruptive to be a better solution.”

If ever the proposal for a new terminal takes off, it would likely be connected through access roads to the South Luzon Expressway (SLEx) or the Circumferential Road 5 (C-5), said Mr. Abaya.

The terminal would also be constructed on NAIA-owned land, although informal settlers would need to be relocated elsewhere, he added.

Mr. Abaya said the numbers for the proposal would still need to be checked before it could be presented before President Benigno S. C. Aquino III and a timetable could be set.

Although there was no costing done, he estimated the terminal to cost “probably more than a billion pesos.”

“It will increase the number of movements on the runway. It also addresses additional parking space; it’s a challenge right now,” said Mr. Abaya.

Mr. Abaya said he was satisfied with “significant” improvements to the airport’s facilities.

He added that 40% of the rehabilitation work had been completed as of December, but pushed the target completion date to mid-May.

“The original deadline given to me for passenger areas was either [February or March]. We’re now looking at mid-May,” said Mr. Abaya. “We can never pin down the final date of completion when we’re rehabilitating. Being off by 45 days isn’t bad.”

New apron

seven13
Does anybody know when is the estimated date of completion of the new apron on the PVH area? How many aircrafts are able to park there simultaneously?

New apron

The question was already answered even before they took shape. Perhaps you may want to read back.

Re: New apron

chowpau
I know when and how many gates

You forgot already. Your question was already answered and you reply to it

Re: New apron

seven13
Oops. May bad. I already saw the post.
12345 ... 23