Manila International Airport

1 ... 13141516171819 ... 23

Re: NAIA Privatization Update

Solblanc

IATA forecast is that traffic will return to 2019 levels in 2024.

NAIA was already saturated in 2019, but it that means that our current infra will be sufficient for the next four years, at least.

Four years is enough time to make improvements at NAIA; it'll be easier and cheaper to make improvements to underutilized facilities.

Four years is also enough time to finish the train to Clark, making that airport a lot more viable.

Four years is a little tight to build a greenfield airport in Bulacan, and SMC hasn't event finished caticlan yet, so I really will believe that project when I see it.

Four years is not enough time to reclaim land for SGY and build anything there.

The only thing with a certain future is CRK.

It remains to be seen if the next admin will be supportive of either Bulacan or Sangley.

We really can't predict the future. Only time will tell if the future will be kinder.

Re: NAIA Privatization Update

Interesting tidbit about Megawide desire to operate NAIA, dubbed "MIA enhancement scandal" by Rep. Jericho Nograles (Puwersa ng Bayaning Atleta).

Congressman Nograles disclosed Megawide have assets of P17.9 billion, yet will take over operations of P47-billion Airport breaching the required 70-percent capital required for OPS. That 70% happens to be only P32 billion.

Another allegation Nograles raised was for the transport officials to suddenly changed the contract terms favoring Megawide, which I think is groundless. The basic parameters are still the same, like concession terms etc.

What Nograles would have meant is the negotiated offer, which every company has right to modify prior to official tender.

As was previously stated on this forum, no official tender is made yet. It could be the reason why Megawide offer fails to sail pass approval.

Re: NAIA Privatization Update

DOTR rescinded the Original Proponent Status (OPS) of Megawide for development of NAIA Monday. The rescission of the OPS followed the DOF instruction that Megawide Construction Corporation (MCC) failed to meet equity requirements in violation of the BOT law (RA7718).

The BOT Law requires proponent financial capability must be established for the equity requirements of the entire project cost prior to submission of proposal, and not to be establish afterwards. MCC equity position as of 2019 is merely P18B. The required NAIA project equity is P32B.

MCC wanted it to be evaluated based on the initial cost of the project. DOF said it should be based on the full project cost similar to that presented by SMC to Bulacan airport.

DOF said MCC proposal to outsource the remaining equity is speculative and uncertain to which the government has no control. It must show that it has this 32B for the government to hold in escrow.

MCC proposal is not dead yet. They may have to secure P32B in equity to convince DOF to give them the nod of OPS. But until then it is good as dead.

Re: NAIA Privatization Update

Megawide was dishonest in their presentation at the Senate. While they presented the equity of GMR, it was never there when it was submitted to ICC NEDA. GMR never made any commitment to NAIA bid. Meaning, no concrete equity was submitted. All they have was proposal to raise funds to raise equity requirements. The commitment was made after the OPS was dropped. Now they can reapply again as I said. Sec. Tugade just echoed what I preached. They can reapply and show both equity.

And while GMR is a huge company, all its equity were tied with other obligations abroad. They have no money parked in this country. So when the evaluation comes later on, it would still fail. And I guess Sen. Poe would have no clue about this at all.

We should take note that GMR are selling assets abroad because of liquidity problems. They are bidding to be a train operator in India which also require huge financial resources.

Would that ADP money go to the Philippines? That is the question that needs to be answered. Because right now Cebu airport interest is also on the block for sale to AdP according to rumors. And that is not without basis as an Irishman associated with AdP heads the airport.

While GMR airport contracts in other countries are considered assets, they are beyond the reach of the Philippines, and therefore speculative unlike GMR where all their assets could be taken by government because they are PH-based company.

I wish the equity provisions should have been explained better. But this is just Grace Poe.

Re: NAIA Privatization Update

Solblanc

The move of SMC to pick up from Megawide is reeking of regulatory capture. MIAA would probably be better off continuing the operations of NAIA themselves and remitting the fees to the government.

That being said, everyone seems to be so quick to hand things off to the private sector, when a reform of MIAA can yield similar results. There are GOCCs that manage to get their act together, and MIAA should strive to be better.

Re: NAIA Privatization Update

XWB_flyer wrote
Arianespace wrote
JNC03 wrote
Transportation Secretary Jimmy Bautista’s top priority is to pursue the NAIA Terminal 2 expansion project which he did not see get off the ground when he was still president and CEO of Philippine Airlines. The terminal building is exclusively used by PAL for domestic and international routes.

The expansion will increase the capacity of the terminal to 15 million passengers per year and can accommodate 12 to 17 aircraft.
It will be interesting to see if JJB can pull this out of the bag. Honestly though, he can't.

While he may be transport boss, he is not in charge with resource allocations. NEDA is. Tugade and JJB did discussed this thing in 2017 while he still commanded PAL.

Sad thing about airport capital expenditure is that it must be consistent with National Transport Plan (NTP), through Philippine Transportation System Master Plan (PTSMP). Building a new NAIA terminal is not one of them. CRk and Bulacan airport however is. Tugade ended up renovating T2. It doesn't also help that when government approved Bulacan it is forbidden from making capital expenditure at NAIA while Bulacan is under construction.

Why?

Because it was meant to replace NAIA as premier airport, like BKK is to DMK.

DOTR ongoing project summary is here
https://dotr.gov.ph/55dotrnews/1966-build-build-build-for-the-future.html

NAIA inclusion was revived in 2021. No Congress approval yet. Approval chances is nil.
https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1156550
I'm curious who made the provision  that forbade the government from further expansion in MNL? Until the completion of NMIA and CRK T2? From a long-term view it makes sense as means MNL could become a Domestic Airport while NMIA for International and Regional Routes and CRK for Nothern Luzon
The GOP is not prohibited from expanding NAIA. What the government is prohibited is putting more taxpayers money at NAIA to address capacity shortfall which is already being addressed in Clark, Sangley and Bulacan.

In other words, capacity expansion should not entail government resources, but must instead come from the private sector. Meaning, new terminal investments should be funded exclusively by private funds. Thus, no government Capital expenditures allowed.

Unfortunately, Private investors proposal for NAIA tend to be more detrimental to government, passengers and the public. The likes of tax exemptions, non-competition clause, and control of terminal fees, among others. NEDA-ICC flagged them down as objectionable terms.

To put it in much simpler terms, proposed NAIA capacity should not be eroded by Sangley, Bulacan or Clark airport opening, otherwise government pays. In effect, airlines should not transfer to any of these airports to guarantee return, which is a no no in government contracts.

I can explain this in detail but the answer would not be responsive anymore to the question.

Re: NAIA Privatization Update

Eurest
Is this the NAIA consortium upgrade?
If Megawide-DMCI were to build the T2 expansion, they'd probably be faster than building CRK T2 since that ran into CoViD

I see how useful this could be for the entire NAIA, as T1 & T3 could be freed up of PR & 2P jets.
Old T2 as int'l aligned better to the taxiway for 06/24, and T2X(pansion) the new domestic one closer to 13/31

The upcoming TSA security visit may make the expansion urgent, by declaring the cramped & crowded Int'l terminal housing the US flights a potential health hazard making social distancing virtually impossible.

Eurest the Daydreamer wrote
By 2024, PR gets new gates allowing it to start a new morning bank so the longhaul jets now have a morning option for better fleet utilization e.g. SFO & LAX.

PR gets to use the B77W longer as FC's are lessened, allowing it to better judge the 777X and A350 stretch that need 400pax to frequency limited airports like YVR&YYZ (14x CAN), JFK & LHR

Needing a new widebody for regional w/ the payload ability of the now exclusive for longhaul B77W, PR orders B78J's that are better for payload than the A333(21%) & A359(9%) but can carry 350pax to frequency limited intra-Asia airports like PEK, HND or ANZ & ME sectors

Boeing then has their lobbyists helps PR expand into NA, making even more opportunities for PR's route starter A359s that have now replaced the 309 pax A333

PR makes more money, orders more B78J and A359 expanding into Europe finally fulfilling its' vision it had in the late 90s

NAIA Airport Operator

A French-based Global Airport Operator has just finished its due diligence on NAIA last week. Another global airport operator from Amsterdam will be doing theirs this week. The object of contention is NAIA airport operations. These two groups will bid for the  right to operate NAIA by next year. It will take over MIAA airport operations. A product of the EU trip of the President recently. Not yet on the news so breaking it now. You would probably see this story by tomorrow.

Abangan...

Re: NAIA Airport Operator

There you go!

President eyes private firm to manage NAIA
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Monday said he and other government officials met with the undisclosed company during their trip to New York last year.

“A private firm cannot own an airport,” Mr. Marcos told journalists in a televised interview. “At most, we will have a management contract… without changing anything.”

“They said that without new equipment, without building a new runway, they can increase the traffic from what is presently they refer to as 35 movements per hour to 45 movements per hour. We want that,” the President said.

“They have a huge experience in running ports and running airports,” Mr. Marcos said.

Representatives of the company were in Manila “last week to look at the operation of the airport,” the President said.

https://manilastandard.net/news/314298848/president-eyes-private-firm-to-manage-naia.html
See, some details are there!

Re: MIA Terminal Reassignments

romantic_guy08
romantic_guy08 wrote
Looks like the planned  terminal reassignment in NAIA will be expedited to the middle of this year in light of the several issues of off-loading of passengers due to long queues at Immigration esp. in T3.

 By mid-year, MIAA is preparing to roll out more improvements in immigration processing, including a physical re-laying out of Terminal 3 to make room for more immigration counters, and the reassignment of terminals, which aims to turn Terminal 2 into all-domestic.
https://www.miaa.gov.ph/index.php/announcements/press-release/4056-miaa-works-with-bi-to-reduce-congestion-at-naia-immigration-counters?fbclid=IwAR3wOvzdMWHrqdx7e1sHR2SWU-oFoQ9J7RrL6uV8dzKkLuiCmS7xfTw6YB8

Read this somewhere...

MIAA Plan is:

Terminal 1:

Philippine Airlines (International)
Etihad
Saudia
JAL
Thai

Terminal 2
Philippine Airlines (Domestic)
Cebu Pacific (Domestic)

Terminal 3
Cebu Pacific (International)
All other Int'l carriers except the 5 assigned in T1

Terminal 4
All other airlines serving domestic except PAL, Cebu Pacific

From what I've read on group chat working within MIAA this isn't finale yet though I think that is the plan. I asked about weither T1 can handel all of PAL International flights they said not sure? They will still need to do a trial run to see if it can handle although there moving some International Airlines from T1 to T3.

[...]

From what I've read on group chat working within MIAA this isn't finale yet though I think that is the plan. I asked about weither T1 can handel all of PAL International flights they said not sure? They will still need to do a trial run to see if it can handle although there moving some International Airlines from T1 to T3.

I think T1 should be able to accommodate all of PAL's international, plus the 4 other airlines flights (which have around 8 flights between them)... and if my count is right, there are only 41 total flights currently using T1 in a day... I'm more curious if T2 can handle all domestic flights and how it will be divided... South Wing for PAL and North Wing for 5J maybe?

Any indication when they will do the dry run? and when we can see more flight transfers? Someone mentioned here that CZ and another airline will be transferring to T3....

Re: MIA Terminal Reassignments

XWB_flyer
romantic_guy08 wrote
I think T1 should be able to accommodate all of PAL's international, plus the 4 other airlines flights (which have around 8 flights between them)... and if my count is right, there are only 41 total flights currently using T1 in a day... I'm more curious if T2 can handle all domestic flights and how it will be divided... South Wing for PAL and North Wing for 5J maybe?

Any indication when they will do the dry run? and when we can see more flight transfers? Someone mentioned here that CZ and another airline will be transferring to T3....
With regards to T2 I have some doubts unless an extension of the Annex is built in the future? Which was originally proposed by PAL. But was rejected by MIAA.

Honestly prefer T1 be bulldozed in favour of a new more efficient design PTB. But doubt that will ever happend due to a number of reasons and this is just my honest opinion.

Re: MIA Terminal Reassignments

Whether you like it or not, all the terminals in NAIA can be replaced by any design, except Terminal 1. That is a fact. Unless, you repeal the law that Congress passed to protect its design.

Re: MIA Terminal Reassignments

chowpau
NAIA T1 cannot be bulldozed as it is covered by a law or something because of the architect who designed T1.

Re: MIA Terminal Reassignments

Solblanc

I know they’ve been improving T2, but will they really be able to handle all the domestic flights? Do they even have enough ramp space?

But in any case, PAL having T1 for international will give them more lounge space for sure, and a t1-t2 physical interconnection should also be feasible for transfer passengers.

I wonder if PAL will be able to make proper international-international sterile connections now that they’ll get all their international flights under one roof

Re: MIA Terminal Reassignments

Solblanc wrote
I know they’ve been improving T2, but will they really be able to handle all the domestic flights? Do they even have enough ramp space?

But in any case, PAL having T1 for international will give them more lounge space for sure, and a t1-t2 physical interconnection should also be feasible for transfer passengers.

I wonder if PAL will be able to make proper international-international sterile connections now that they’ll get all their international flights under one roof
They have done the math and found T2 more than capable of handling domestic traffic from both PAL and CEB. The math (ie gate assignment) was done sometime in 2019. Had it not for covid they would have implemented the plan in 2020. Both CEB and PAL objected to this but because of Tugade's will to implement it they eventually agreed. MIAA slowly implemented the plan starting with the relocation of terminal assignments of international airlines as well as PAL during and after covid. When travel restriction was lifted GAP was already at T2 and YVR, JFK, YYZ, and DXB relocated to T1. There will be timing readjustment to be implemented by winter schedule, so this will definitely happen sometime late November-early December time frame.

I know T1 has enough jet bridges, but will T1 have enough parking bays for all of PRs international flights? or will they also occupy the remote parking bays between T1/T2 and the remote parking bays at Nayong Pilipino? If they will, wouldn't that limit the remote/parking bays for domestic?

Re: MIA Terminal Reassignments

Occupation of remote for short parking, yes. Boarding on remote parking, no. T1 doesn't have ground gates. Long parking would still be Nayong Pilipino and LTP. Cargo bays are usually only busy at night.

Re: MIA Terminal Reassignments

seven13
Isn’t gate 16 of T1 allowed for remote pax boarding for bay 20-23? It’s located at one of the satellite concourse.
1 ... 13141516171819 ... 23