Manila International Airport

1 ... 10111213141516 ... 23

DOTr NAIA Plan

idp5601
We now have a clearer picture on what the DOTr plans to do with NAIA in the long-term.
https://www.philstar.com/business/2018/04/13/1805651/government-eyes-turning-naia-real-estate-development-hub

Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade said the economic team is eyeing to turn the overstretched airport into a property development area that will be bigger than the Bonifacio Global City, the capital's newest financial district in Taguig City, Manila.

“It will be eight to nine years at most 10 years... that is the life span of NAIA. Why? Because of the congested area and because of the technology at the airport,” Tugade said during the second leg of the Philippine Economic Briefing 2018 in Clark, Pampanga.
----------------------
Seeing the deterioration of the Manila airport, Tugade said the government is “entertaining” proposals to build airports outside the capital, including offers to establish new and modern airports in Bulacan and Sangley Point in Cavite.
Honestly this is great news because we know now that the government does not intend on keeping MNL around once a new gateway is built, as was previously planned during the early days of the administration. This also basically means Phase 2 of the NAIA Superconsortium's proposal is now dead in the water.

We will see either significantly shortened concession periods for the two rehabilitation proposals or MIAA deciding to fix the airport themselves as a stop-gap measure until a new airport is built.

DOTr NAIA Plan

That is not Tugade plan. That is JICA plan. And what he meant for 10 years is the saturation point when no improvements are being made. He wasn't able to explain it more thoroughly to be understood.

NAIA privatisation

idp5601
Are there any updates regarding the NAIA privatisation?

NAIA privatisation

No but we have this

NAIA T2 Upgrade

Re: NAIA privatisation

idp5601
What is that?

NAIA privatisation

Terminal 2 expansion and upgrade works

Re: NAIA privatisation

majaba
This photo of an extension of T2 is not really very explainable on progress or enlargement of the premises. Is there any information on what is being done there?

NAIA Terminal 2 Expansion Project

It's the 500 Million pesos Terminal 2 expansion Richard. This is the project that I was talking to this forum 3-4 years ago. Not about the mega proposal that is not even a project just yet.  Component of this project is a separate new dual bridge sets just like this one which I think would no longer be bidded out considering current proposal to convert this Terminal to domestic. By the way, the new air bridges at Terminal 1 is a project of the previous administration, as part of T1 renovation project.

Re: NAIA Terminal 2 Expansion Project

And the news lately,

NAIA upgrades passenger boarding bridges

June 27 -- Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 1 passengers will soon be treated to more modern aerobridges as they board their flights," said Manila International Aiport Authority (MIAA) General Manager (GM) Ed Monreal.

The airport chief announced that MIAA has embarked on a project to replace the decades old passenger boarding bridges (PBB) with new ones. The project entails the design manufacturing, factory testing, delivery, and installation of new and customized units of apron-type and pedestal-type PBBs.

Phase 1 of the project consists of replacement of nine (9) units, while Phase 2 includes eleven (11) of boarding bridges. Currently being implemented is Phase 1 with a total project cost of ₱318,998,885.98. Actual replacement commenced this week. Target date of completion for phase 1 is on December 2018.

Phase 2, on the other hand, is due for bidding with actual implementation expected to commence by first quarter of 2019.

The PBB connects the airport walkway directly to the aircraft. It provides ease and convenience to passengers and protects them from both hot and humid or inclement weather.

From steel walls, the new aerobridges are made of glass wall. The units are also air-conditioned and are equipped with CCTV camera with a view of the apron. The bridges are also designed with programmable motor controller and are ground power unit (GPU) ready.

The bridges being replaced have been in operation for 33 years and are now outdated rendering them unreliable with incidents of breakdown occurring from time to time.

Shinmaywa Industries Inc. supplied the 20 aerobridges in the late 1970s when NAIA 1 was under construction. The units were the first of its kind in the Philippines back then.

Shenzhen CIMC-TianDa Airport Support Ltd (CIMC-TIanDa) is supplying the new aerobridges for NAIA. The company's core business is airport support equipment, among others. To date, the company has supplied over 4000 units of passenger boarding bridges in 200 airports worldwide exporting to more than 60 countries since it began manufacturing PBBs in 1989.

“Rest assured that we will work doubly hard to make a difference for the benefit of the air riding public," GM Monreal said in closing. (DOTr)
That is equivalent to 5 double fingers on international plus 1 finger on domestic. What I don't know is if there is any deviation of the plans considering the current administration's proposal.

Re: NAIA privatisation

For Richard
NAIA T2 Upgrade
NAIA 2 Expansion

Re: NAIA privatisation

frequentflier
I’m just curious why widebody aircrafts in T3 uses only one PBB. The terminal is designed with two-finger PBB but I never see them using both.

Re: NAIA privatisation

Not operational since it opened in 2005. Apparently, the bridge computer and some parts is so expensive that its better to replace the whole bridge than have it repaired. Crazy no?

So what MIAA did was cannibalized working ones,  to at least have working fingers to all gates.

Re: NAIA privatisation

frequentflier
That’s sad. I guess we have to wait until they decide to replace those PBBs.

I guess its beyond warranty before we even got to use it.

Re: NAIA privatisation

Meanwhile, MIAA approve in principle the issuance of original proponent status (OPS) to NAIA Consortium.

Were just waiting for the official ink to make it dry.

And by the way, like I always say in this forum, the GMIA is still a go, Bulacan notwithstanding.

Re: NAIA privatisation

idp5601
What is GMIA?

Re: NAIA privatisation

crusher.wake
^ Greater Manila International Airport

NAIA privatisation

It comes in many names you can find below:

Greater Capital Region International Airport Project
Greater Capital International Airport Project
Greater Manila International Airport Project
New Manila International Airport Project
New Ninoy Aquino International Airport Project

By the way, this is how airport location fare, including SMC airport in Obando.

New Manila International Airport Screening

A lesson well learned in building Suvarnabhumi over wetlands is known, from $3billion project to $5billion when completed in 2006. (ENR:  Volume 258, Issues 13-15, McGraw-Hill, 2007). No wonder Ramon Ang and his engineers pegged it at $5 billion just to play safe.

Re: NAIA Terminal 2 Expansion Project

majaba
Salamat Arianespace for your kind explanations.

Re: NAIA privatisation

majaba
Looks GREAT ! Now I can not only understand, but can actually see what´s coming up on the T2 expansion. Very nice and thank you once more.

E-gates

While Terminal 1 and 3 have E-gates, Terminal 2 doesn't have one. That could show the administration's drive to want Centennial be domestic. That perhaps signal the cancellation of multiple fingered PBBs at the North Wing.
Making Sense
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 23