Airlines In The Philippines III

Re: 7783

Evodesire
YIPES!!! Expect another barrage of complaints and bad reviews. I also got word that PAL will no longer be reconfiguring those SMC-interior A330s. Does that mean these won't stay in the fleet that long?

Re: 7783

Or shall we say that it just a timing issue, in a few years they'll be back to being on par or better.  Toronto and New York are lucky to have the newest plane.

Re: 7783

Because they are done with the reconfig. Don't you know they are much denser now?

From 414 in 2014 to 309 in 2017 to 359 in 2022. They seem to make up their mind frequently, don't you think?

Re: Sapporo/Chitose

seven13
This is going to be a good lift to PR operations of those A21Ns goes back online.

Re: 7783

PAL 747
Is there even a chance Mabuhay Magazine will ever return? Cebu Pacific's Smile is already back in the air.

If not, kuripot talaga ang PAL (PAL's real cheap). Haha.

Re: 7783

seven13
Impossible. In the era when PR is “rationalizing” expenses, we won’t see the magazine again…and newspapers

Re: 7783

PAL 747
Wow. Even in the dark ages that was 1998 when PAL almost died (technically it did for 2 weeks in late September 1998), they still published the Mabuhay Magazine. I know because I used to have copies from 1998.

PAL's finances now may not be great, but it's not as bad as 1998. It's actually bigger now compared to 1998. Hearing that the possibility of Mabuhay not returning didn't make me happy, especially if other airlines are slowly bringing back their inflight magazines.

It's the small touches that makes flying bearable.

On a side note, you can now view what your meal will be here:

https://menu.philippineairlines.com/

But in typical "rationalization" fashion, it's not as good as this one:

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/travel-information/meals/

Re: 7783

PAL 747
To be fair, the movie selection isn't bad.

https://entertainment.philippineairlines.com/all-movies

They got Oppenheimer & Killers of the Flower Moon (I've seen them last year and they're pretty good); as well as Barbie. They even have Pinoy classics like Himala & Oro Plata Mata na pang-Cannes (worthy to be screened at the Cannes Film Festival).

I hope they didn't censor Heneral Luna's favorite word. Haha.

Side note: I was on a Turkish Airlines flight binge watching the Godfather trilogy back in 2014. They censored the f-word, but not a scene where someone's head was blown off in Part 2.

Re: 7783

JNC03
iPads as IFE is much easier to update with new contents

Re: 7783

seven13
Well, back then PTV weren’t a thing unlike today where having personal seatback IFE is the bare minimum.

PR is slowly introducing wireless IFE (W-IFE) on its narrowbody aircraft. Currently 5 A321ceos are equipped with the said product, totally different with the myPal product currently installed on all of its A321ceos. The modified triclass (coded as A334) and biclass (A332) has them already.

Re: 7783

PAL 747
Haha. The 1st time I enjoyed on-seat IFE in PAL was in March 1998 on First Class to Vancouver on an A340. Back then the A330s, A340s and 1 B747-400 had on seat IFE only at First & Mabuhay Classes. IFE wasn't on-demand, so the movies were playing on a loop. I don't think you can pause or start from the beginning.

Do all seats in PAL's fleet have power outlets for mobile devices? Also, is wi-fi free (and if it is, how strong is it?)?

IDK. I'm old, but it seems PAL's soft & hard products are getting worse compared to what I've experienced in the 80s and 90s. I was hoping PAL's soft & hard product today would at least be similar to VN, GA & TG.

Re: 7783

I guess its time for you to try the IFEs of the A359. They are the best in PAL Fleet. Tried all the longhaulers. None is better than the newest plane. They have the USB port too.

Also tried the ipad variant on the A340's which is way much better than the 77Ws.

Re: 7783

PAL 747
Fingers crossed that the incoming A350-1000s arriving next year will have a really nice hard product.

Re: 7783

JNC03 wrote
iPads as IFE is much easier to update with new contents
Did you know that every 5 years a new IFE system is introduce into the market to new planes. Basically the life of the IFE is 6 years before they are brought into obsolescence. This was the reason why lease of planes end between 6-8 years. Also the reason why airlines shop for the newest IFE before installng it to their plane. This was also the reason why aircraft reconfiguration happen to introduce new seats with IFECs. Case in point, Singapore Airlines reconfigure their seat every 6 years. Every reconfiguration requires Certification. This is usually done during D checks, as this procedure requires longer AOGs.

And then airlines like PAL decides to extend the leases for another six years, without taking obsolescence into consideration. And this is the time where most of the IFEs breakdown due to normal wear and tear. Because they are meant to be used at most for only 8 years. They are not like your average ipads. They are build tough design for use 17 hours a day for 8 years. Imagine what a new ipad would be like with that heavy use. It wont last six months.

PAL decided to keep them longer than it was meant to be. Because they don't want to pay costly reconfiguration updates like what they did with the 744s, and corresponding re-certifications. Case in point, their current B77ws. It leaves a lot to be desired. Skimping this maintenance got them more revenue.

The problem with this management attitude is you don't usually get cannibalized parts from other secondary IFEs market that is beyond economic life for the reason that they are end-of-life products, unlike chairs where you can have it as long as you like. To do that an airline needs to contend again with costly "certification". It would be cheaper for PAL to pay the economic value of losing a single ife to the lessor rather than installing costly replacements to please its passengers.

So airlines like PAL just disable defective unit and give passengers Ipad just like what was shown earlier. It is cheaper that way. And sure does not bid well for a pricey business class. Take your pick.

Re: 7783

seven13
Not all seats have power sockets, mostly available in BCL only, however, the A333s and A21Ns have USB on the screen in ECY to charge your device. The 777s have power sockets in ECY if I remember correctly. The ceos have power sockets in bcl and pecy.

For wifi, it’s free for bcl passengers and mabuhay milers. I think it’s 100MB allotment. There’s also a free 10mb for all passengers, after which, you have to subscribe to the plans if you want to use more. Currently, the 777s have the wifi, not sure with the 350s. Definitely none with the 321s and 330s.

Re: 7783

JNC03
I am now thinking about what IFE system they will have for their next aircraft to acquire including the A35K, A330 replacement and new narrows. The A321ceo reconfiguration as well since they said that they will install IFEs on them.

The trend now is having larger screens with Bluetooth capability so the passengers can connect their earphones and faster software. IFE is just part of the overall cabin product that is important for the passenger experience.

Wifi systems on planes are also getting faster, I hope PAL will have those as well.

Re: 7783

The current IFEC for the A359 and the B787s were the 4th Gen. The Fifth Generation IFEC starts in 2024 with Thales. Panasonic followed suit months later introducing in February this year. By that calculations, it is so easy to tell what the IFEC would be on the 35K ordered by PAL.

You know its 5th gen when it has smart 4k QLED HDR display, two Bluetooth connections, as well as built-in wifi enabling passengers to pair phones, tablets, headphones and game controllers, and support for up to 60 watts USB-C to fast-charge personal devices (PEDs).

In connection with the triple seven, Cathay is refitting their 30 77w fleet with 5th gen IFECs in 2024 until 2027. Can't help but be envious on our northern neighbor. They will be using these aircraft for another 6 years before the 779 comes to their fleet by 2030.

In my bewildered amusement I couldn't understand why PAL can't or couldn't do the same, with their better than expected earnings forecast, refit their triple seven. They could extend the lease or so for another 6 years and use it for Middle east, regional and land down under routes when the 35k starts arriving. I know 77w is old, so does CX planes. Stan previously said that it is not on the table. Would they perhaps be listening now?

Re: AirAsia Philippines

JNC03
AirAsia Philippines is looking to move its international flights to Terminal 1 of Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) by July. Talks are still underway with the Manila International Airport Authority when the transfer would actually happen.

Dailisan explained that their aircraft fly both domestic and international routes, and moving one plane from terminal 2 to terminal 3 and vise versa could be time consuming and costly as well. Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 are on the opposite side of the NAIA compound, while Terminal 1 is just beside Terminal 2.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/business/2024/4/30/airasia-eyes-transfer-of-international-flights-to-naia-1-by-july-1429

Last year they said that they wanted to have A330s, moving forward now moving to T1 will allow them to prepare for it but as of now they need more A320s and new A321neos, AirAsia Thailand is starting to receive A321neos again.

Since Capital A controls Z2 fully now they can do it if they are willing to invest more to Z2

Re: PAL

Evodesire
I heard that PAL's MNL-SFO sales are hammered by the entry of UA, with more people preferring to take UA due to better hard product and less chances of flight cancellation. I somehow feel that PAL is regretting its decision to return too much A350s. But then again, that was a decision made by the GSM admin. I am not sure if it would be the same decision if the group of Capt. Stan were the executives during that time. Or they would have exerted everything to keep the A350s and to properly forecast the resurgence of demand.

Re: PAL

N751PR
A single personal anecdote here but when I flew in the inaugural UA189 I was seated across from another pax who was originally supposed to be on the cancelled PR105 the night before and ended up having to snag one of the last seats on this flight as the rebooking options wouldn't be able to get him to MNL on PAL metal for a couple more days. Even on the first day of operations the new alternative on SFO-MNL managed to get at least one other passenger to almost immediately cross over.
123456