Airlines In The Philippines II

Locked 1980 messages Options
123456 ... 99

New A321NX

frequentflier
PRs new A321NX (RP-C9935) is on it’s way to MNL

Re: PAL Wide body Expansion

He was not fired. He resigned. But before that interview he did not have a clue what happened. And when he learned something he resigned out of delicadeza. That's what honest and honorable man do.

Re: New A321NX

Solblanc
The new A321NX arrived, but there’s no fanfare. No press. I wonder why?

The config is a more comfortable 195 seats with IFE and an extra lav for Y passengers. This is supposed to be the backbone of PAL’s new regional product. So why the radio silence?

Re: New A321NX

Evodesire
With the arrival of the ACFs, I wonder if those CEOs will be given to PAL Express.

PAL Wide body Expansion

This would come as a surprise but some management action of the daughter was overturned by the taipan father after he assumed office Monday. He seems not pleased with the airlines new direction. And the junior officers applaud.  Makes you wonder what is it that ticked him off.

Meanwhile, Nikkei has this to say

Succession issues have swirled around the airline since Bautista's sudden departure, and Vivienne Tan's appointment as OIC and not president.

LT Group, which holds Tan's assets in banking, tobacco, distilleries and real estate, became entangled in the succession talks when Michael Tan, the tycoon's son and COO of the conglomerate, recently unloaded shares in the $3.4 billion company.

But while Tan is consolidating his control over PAL, Lopez believes it is only a matter of time until the succession is finally set in motion.

"Tan is in the process of ensuring that companies are transferred to the right family members," she said. "We can say Lucio Tan is putting succession things in order."

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Lucio-Tan-tightens-control-over-Philippine-Airlines-amid-succession-talks?utm_source=paid.outbrain.com&utm_campaign=BA%20PH&utm_medium=referral

Re: PAL Wide body Expansion

Solblanc

And PAL came out with a statement that they’re staying in London. They’re in it for the long-haul.

Re: PAL Wide body Expansion

I think I've made this clear before it even hit headline.

MANILA -- Flag carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL) on Thursday afternoon said it is considering the expansion of its US route, and still offers the London route.

"This is is contrary to some published reports," spokesperson Cielo Villaluna said.

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1075410
Also consistent with what Bong Tan said.

Re: PAL Wide body Expansion

El Kapitan said CAPA will not get a chance to see him.

Re: PAL Wide body Expansion

El Kapitan wants continuity of JJB plan and he has the support of ANA. Good news for Bong. Bad news for EVP.

Now, what was the plan again?

Re: PAL Wide body Expansion

Evodesire
Arianespace wrote
El Kapitan said CAPA will not get a chance to see him.
I think PAL doesn't really care about CAPA, they are more after Skytrax, Apex, and AirlineRatings. CAPA has always been negative on PAL anyway, except, it seemed like their (CAPA) misinformation did stir a hornets nest that PAL went all out in contradicting the former's misleading news.

I'm expecting more negative stuff from CAPA about PAL. Think tank pa more!

Re: PAL New President

Evodesire
So PAL has a new President, Gilbert Sta. Maria. Is he sure to continue with the direction of JJB while also making the airline more profitable?

Re: PAL New President

“PAL is the airline that meets the needs of local and global travelers by showcasing our brand’s main strength—the passion for safety and service. Maintaining the current level of service is important and, of course, profitability. Let us do our share to make PAL reach greater heights,”
Straight from the horse's mouth. It's the same thrust as the old if you asked me. Yet another score for Bong as the woman's bet failed the nod. The fact that he has unanimous vote including ANA is something.

Delta Airlines, MNL Perspective

Delta pulls out Narita from Manila. The reason, it is relocating to Haneda after securing five more slots out of the additional 11 granted by Japan to US carriers. Delta will fly from Tokyo Haneda to Atlanta, Detroit, Honolulu, Portland, and Seattle. Currently, the airline flies to Los Angeles and Minneapolis from Haneda, making them the biggest US operator to fly to seven major markets.

The problem, intra asian rights (ie Hongkong, Manila, and Singapore) originates from Narita as they don't have rights to also fly from Haneda.

Hong Kong was axed last year. This September Singapore is going to go. The result of direct flights by Singapore and United Airlines. Manila stays.

So why do Manila survives?

Unlike Singapore and Hongkong, Manila happens to have plenty of connecting traffic to the States and that matters. Delta said almost 98% of its flights connect to the mainland US using flights to Atlanta, Detroit, Honolulu, Portland, Seattle. The two percent disembarks in Narita. That means its B767 is always full going and leaving Manila. Before the merger, Northwest used to bring full 3 B747.

A plan to fly Seattle direct on A350 is in the works but won't happen for now according to its MNL rep. So the next best thing is relocating to Seoul. Because it will have no connection at Narita soon.

One would wonder if they can pick passengers in Seoul to Manila? The answer is no. Unlike Narita where they have grandfather rights, no such thing exists in South Korea for the american carrier. So it will entirely be US bound traffic and vice versa. A recent negotiation to allow this has been denied as of this writing.

So I don't know where the idea of Korean Air support lies on this deal where none is given from the Philippines.

Re: Delta Airlines, MNL Perspective

fd20
Interesting. So there's no truth to the discussions that since Korean Air can't launch a third daily flight to MNL, they'll be funneling over passengers to Delta instead? I also thought this would be the case since those two airlines have a JV.

And didn't Northwest also fly between Manila and Seoul in the 90s? Were they not able to carry passengers between the two cities back then?

Re: Delta Airlines, MNL Perspective

Solblanc

That is odd. UA is the carrier that flew to MNL via SEL, if I'm not mistaken.

As it stands, PH does have dormant 5th freedom rights from ICN to the US. I would assume that there are dormant reciprocal rights for the US?

Re: Delta Airlines, MNL Perspective

Use it or lose it. United operated B747 to Gimpo daily and twice weekly to Taipei. That was circa 1990s or thereabouts. United gained the grandfather rights because it acquired PAN AM Pacific Division in 1985 covering Japan and South Korea.

United got the green light to fly to Asia taking Pan Am routes to Taipei, Singapore, Bangkok, Seoul, Manila, Beijing, Australia and New Zealand in 1986. The Philippines granted landing permission in 1987 with reservations for similar rights out of Tokyo for the United States. In exchange for that is the PAL flight from Tokyo.

That beyond right ceased in 1995 when they amended the US transport agreement. United left in 1997 if my memory serves me right. I've made similar comment about this in the other forum 10 years ago about northwest losing the same grandfather right should they abandon Narita. Almost 40 years later, that right to fly from Tokyo to the US still remains a dream for Philippine based carriers and so is the American's request for open skies which I think would never come.

The Philippines complaint to US open skies is actually similar to Japan and South Korea. United States does not allow foreign carriers to establish hubs at U.S. destinations such as Los Angeles or San Francisco. In 1994 PAL would have wanted to establish a Los Angeles hub for points in New York, Chicago, Seattle, Houston, and Washington airports but US doesn't allow it to do so. Similar restrictions are made to Japanese and Korean carriers. That's why its a tough sale for the Americans.

What I said before is accurate now as Japan validated my observation by preventing northwest successor Delta from getting the same grandfather rights at Haneda for intra asia flights. Delta moved anyway. The 2017 ASA of South Korea does not show this anymore in the Annex so they might have terminated fifth freedom at their end as well.

PAL Revamp

Evodesire
A report in Philstar came out saying that there are more revamps in PAL and some of those affected are those who greatly helped in the 4-star recognition. How true is this? If it is, are these the work of the woman as we have so far heard nothing yet from GSM?

Re: PAL Revamp

The answer to your question is in the previous page.

And some more from this photo

GSM will have a more difficult job. He needs to please the group. JJB on the other hand only need to please LT.

Re: PAL Revamp

Evodesire
Sorry but may we get more info on the photo? Quite dont get it.

Re: PAL Revamp

Solblanc
From left to right: PAL Chief Commercial Group Adviser Francis Bernard, PAL Ancillary Business Unit Vice President Kevin Y. Hartigan-Go, PHAR Managing Director for Asia Prem Bhatia, and PAL Ancillary Business Programs Management Assistant Vice President Alfred Joseph J. Montemayor

http://www.pharpartnerships.com/pharnews/2017/11/13/philippine-airlines-appoints-phar-as-ancillary-revenue-partner-across-media-assets