Airlines In The Philippines II

Locked 1980 messages Options
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 99

Re: PAL Restructuring

XWB_flyer
This post was updated on .
Yes currently 3507 is in Clark for storage pending transfer to  LH

Intresting it mentioned 4 A350 instead of 3. Where will the 4th A350 come from? Could this mean 3504 will also leave the fleet as well? As currently 3504 is back flying again with PAL.

https://m.uk.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/lufthansa-ceo-concerned-about-chinas-covid-travel-restrictions-2476551

Also I want to asked if there is a chance if PAL can re-lease them by 2027-2028 timeframe? It seem PAL is still interested in converting there remaining options to the larger A350-1000 in the early 2030?

Re: PAL Restructuring

Evodesire
So all in all, PAL will just leave 2 A350s?

Re: PAL Restructuring

XWB_flyer
I could see two possible scenarios

PAL will need 7-8 long-haul aircrafts to maintain LAX, SFO, YVR daily with the remainder could be used for LHR, YYZ and JFK.

1,) 2 Airbus A350-900 and 6 Boeing 777-300ER

2,) 3 Airbus A350-900 and 5 Boeing777-300ER

Total: 8

I believe the original plan was just to keep 2 A350-900 which could be used for either a 2nd frequency to LAX or SFO from MNL with the six B777-300ER for high demand routes LAX, SFO and YBR. But since El Kapitan is keen on keeping LHR, YYZ and JFK it was decided to revised it to 3 A350-900 and 5 B777-300ER as it would offer flexibility in low demand periods.

I personally think there is a chance for demand to either YYZ and JFK post-pandemic its just a question of when.

Personally if I where keeping just 2 A350-900 I'd probably keep all 6 option to the A359 or partially converted 4 to the larger A351 as replacement for the B777 with 2 to be retain as A359.

Re: PAL Restructuring

Evodesire
Any news about the A321neos?

Some say they will be returned, some say they will be kept and the older A321s and A320s will be returned.

Wonder how PAL will respond as both Cebu Pacific and AirAsia Philippines are keen on switching to the NEOs. Well Cebu Pacific for one already has 9 A21Ns and 5 A20Ns wherein all are active. They are returning and parking their older aircraft. During a recent media conference, AirAsia PH once again reiterated that they are switching to the A21N too, only question is when they will begin receiving the aircraft.

Re: Airlines In The Philippines II

actually they wanted to fly e-jets from the start and ended up with airbus.

Re: PAL Restructuring

The original plan was to dropped very long haul. The intent was to keep only LAX, SFO and YVR. But when someone with US$ 500million tells you differently how to spend his money, would you care not to listen?

Re: PAL Restructuring

I've answered this question already.

If you think AirAsia and Cebu Pacific is in a better place, you might be in for a big surprise!

Re: PAL Restructuring

If you wonder why PAL is making a killing in North America right now, Filipinos can't use Taiwan, Korea, and Japan as transit point. More so with Hong Kong. Read what happened to CX. Hongkong just happened to be the most transited airport by Filipinos to North America. Now it just carried about 6,000 passengers last month. It usually was their daily figure in 2019. PAL on the other hand transported an average of 3,000 international pax per day.

What makes CX special to me was its status as the only foreign carrier to operate domestic flights. It almost bought PAL in 1998 were it not saved by Lucio Tan. Some question his better judgment but I see where his projections are coming from. He wouldn't be a billionaire if he is not smart. JJB even acknowledged that fact since he can see what he cannot see and foresaw. His got conflict with his daughter who cannot also see the bright side. After all, no self respecting businessman rescue a failing airline. But his no ordinary man. His definitely making one step backward and two steps forward. Just watch how this unfold...

Cathay recovery still uncertain, amid prolonged border closures, fresh competition

By Alfred Chua
More than a year after a massive restructuring, Hong Kong’s embattled Cathay Pacific looks to enter 2022 with its recovery in jeopardy, as the city’s international borders remain tightly shut, and new competition takes shape in its home turf.

It was 21 October 2020, when the carrier announced it was slashing hundreds of jobs and closing down regional unit Cathay Dragon, all in an attempt to trim cash burn, while staying afloat amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The Oneworld carrier suffered a collapse in international traffic as Hong Kong sealed its borders amid the coronavirus pandemic. Coupled with a lack of domestic traffic, the carrier’s passenger numbers from the start of the pandemic are a tiny fraction of the millions it used to carry.

Furthermore, and unlike its regional rivals, Cathay entered the pandemic beset by weakened demand from political unrest in Hong Kong in 2019.

The airline suffered its worst financial results in its 70-year history: in 2020, it plunged to a HK$18.1 billion ($2.32 billion) full-year operating loss, with revenue for the year just 2% pre-pandemic levels.

THE ‘ZERO-COVID’ CONUNDRUM
Cathay’s home base of Hong Kong has resolutely maintained its ‘Zero-Covid’ stance, putting it more in line with the Chinese mainland than the rest of the world, which is looking at reopening borders after a long battle with the pandemic.  Indeed, Hong Kong’s quarantines of up to three weeks are among the world’s longest.

Hong Kong is unlikely to open up its borders to leisure travellers to enter without quarantine any time soon, and this puts Cathay in a conundrum where its transit traffic performed better than traffic in and out of Hong Kong.

The airline alluded to this situation in its September traffic results, where it notes that transit traffic was a “key driver for demand”.

The airline adds: “In contrast, passenger demand for flights into Hong Kong remained very weak due to the strict quarantine requirements.”

While it did not elaborate further, it was clear the territory’s tough stance on managing the pandemic was affecting Cathay’s recovery prospects. Furthermore, this was not the first time it has acutely felt the impact of governmental policies.

In January, the carrier said it expected to lose more cash — months after it managed to trim its cash burn — and cut capacity further, following the Hong Kong government’s decision to impose mandatory quarantine measures on all flight crew entering the city for more than two hours.

Hong Kong subsequently eased quarantine measures for flight crew, but has stood firm on its virus elimination strategy. Hong Kong chief executive Carrie Lam said in an October interview that she was, as the city’s leader, “duty-bound to protect my people, so any fatality or increase in fatality will cause a major concern in society”.

She also stressed that Hong Kong’s priority was the reopening of borders with the Chinese mainland, before the rest of the world.

A research note points out that the airline could even take longer than its regional peers to recover and return to profitability, given a lack of domestic market and its relatively larger exposure to international markets.

Independent aviation analyst Brendan Sobie concurs, noting that Hong Kong’s relatively slower reopening strategy “is a concern” for Cathay’s recovery prospects.

“The lack of a domestic market is a major challenge as it will be some time before the international market starts to reopen in Hong Kong and potentially several years before it fully recovers. A much slower reopening in Hong Kong compared to other markets is a concern,” he says.

However, Sobie notes that Cathay is “very well established with a very strong brand and ample liquidity”.

FlightGlobal.
Here is another good read

International airlines pivot away from Asia

Re: Cebu Pacific Fleet Renewal

XWB_flyer
Some pics of the seats and interior of Cebu Pacific upcoming Airbus A330neo will have 460 passengers and the same Recaro seats as with the A321/A321neo and A320neo.

https://www.aviationupdatesph.com/2021/10/first-look-cebu-pacifics-a330neo-interior.html?m=1

Re: Airlines In The Philippines II

majaba
E Jets is a common term for Embraer Jets.
Possibly Ariannespace could kindly reply to my question please?

Re: PAL Restructuring

XWB_flyer
Intresting read especially the increase in booking compared to last year particularly from New York and California!

https://mb.com.ph/2021/11/08/airline-ticket-sales-to-ph-surge-57-in-q3/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=airline-ticket-sales-to-ph-surge-57-in-q3

Re: PAL Restructuring

If you haven't notice, PAL is flying now 7 triple seven.

They are RP-C7772,73,76,77,78,79,82.

While at it, it also loses 1 A350. It only got 3 flying. (3508,3504,and 3501)

Bottom line, plus 2 77w's minus 1 359's equals 1 more long haul plane.

This should be a good thing. Considering that 3 more long haul flights take effect in December (YVR, SFO, YYZ), and 5 more by March.

Re: PAL Restructuring

XWB_flyer
Intresting

It seem the Triple seven is a much more versatile aircraft then first thought. I'd be impressed if PAL keeps most of there B777 in the short to medium term while the A350-900 will be only half there sized. I'm curious if there plans to replace lost frames to lessors in the future or will LH only be keeping them for a short time until there existing orders comes into effect?

Re: PAL Restructuring

XWB_flyer
Cebu Pacific first Airbus A330-900 RP-C3900 in route for delivery

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWx1bfuMmcI/?utm_medium=copy_link

Re: PAL Restructuring

XWB_flyer
Intresting RP-C3504 is mentioned going to Lufthansa even giving a reg D-AIVB so this means only 3501 and 3508 are staying?

https://m.planespotters.net/airframe/airbus-a350-900-rp-c3504-philippine-airlines/3wvm55

Also RP-C8785 being registered first Tri-class A330 to be returned!

https://m.planespotters.net/airframe/airbus-a330-300-rp-c8785-philippine-airlines/r1mly6

Re: PAL Restructuring

The A350s should come back soon. In a similar fashion the A330/340s did in the 90s. They just have a new home for the time being. Its leasing arrangement is peculiar too. It so happen that its maintenance provider is its owner for now flying for its mother company. I don't know if this is PAL subleasing to Lufthansa or PAL assigning rights to Lufthansa Tecknik AG and leasing it to DLH. The idea being the latter pays for its rent while PAL don't use it. Its like buying a condo from the bank and lease it to others while you go back to your mother's house. That way you still owns the condo after the lease, instead of foreclosing it from the bank because of your inability to pay. It always is a win-win situation. If you find someone willing to use it.

I am reminded of a similar arrangement almost 60 years ago when KLM got DC-8 from PAL. The plane did returned four years later and flew for PAL until its retirement in 1986.

The A330s however is a different matter. I'm told its contract will start expiring in 2021 and will run up to 2024. They could be good to go for another four years if not for the pandemic. If its not flying now, its more likely not flying for them again. The rest of the return A330s are still in Clark, while 2 in LTP were prepped for long term storage. One just left days ago to Arizona.

Re: PAL Restructuring

XWB_flyer
Thanks for clearing it! I now starting to have a clear picture of PAL post-pandemic widebody fleet! Yeah they do have alot of excess capacity right now and probably need to trim it in the short term.

But I wonder in the medium term with Cebu Pacific taking delivery of the A330-900neo I wonder if PAL is considering taking the A330neo as replacement for there A330ceo?

Re: PAL Restructuring

Perhaps. I think it was inevitable for them to fly the A339. If I remember JJB correctly, he said in 2018 after receiving A359 that they are going to replace the A330 sometime in 2025, after completing delivery of their 2012 orders. Last delivery is expected in 2021 but was deferred until 2023. Meaning, PAL could take this widebody order together with the long haulers next year or in 2023. They could take the 251ton variant as this was certified only in 2020 for route to as far YVR, SEA, and SAN. CEB 330neo order is actually 245T. It upgraded to 251t when it took plane destined to AirAsia X.

Well, that is water under the bridge now. If PAL is taking their last order in 2028, you should see the new widebodies coming at least 2030.

PAL and CEB actually has the same lease terms with respect to the A330s. But unlike CEB, PAL holds on to its fleet much longer because it fly less. Meaning, its not overused like CEB does rotation to its planes. CEB has more cycles to its plane than PAL does.

Re: PAL Restructuring

XWB_flyer
Understandable decision international travel will probably take some time to recovery short-haul regional travel will probably
recover. However only once boarder restrictions will be largely lifted which is made compilacated with the omnicrom variant.

Focus on domestic flying I think it will recover faster probably in less then 5 years though is dependent on individual LGU requirements the A321ceo is better suited for domestic runs along with the remaning A320ceo and Dash 8-400.

Lastly I want to know the plans for GAP A320ceo are there plans to replaced them or still needs work?

Re: PAL Restructuring

GAP is dependent to its parent PAL. It is actually using PAL planes. Not leased but owned. GAP doesn't owned planes now. Unlike before when they actually owned one. the B732s and B733s. If PAL is deferring  orders, so are there fleet.

Personally though, you don't need Neo planes on domestic run. It do wonders for 4-8 hours flight. The longest our country have is 2 hours between Laoag and Gensan. CEB meanwhile operate their neos overseas. It do well on that sector. Not so on short rotations.
Making Sense
1 ... 10111213141516 ... 99