Airlines in the Philippines

Locked 1993 messages Options
12345 ... 100

Re: PAL-Etihad Partnership

seven13
Arianespace wrote
I just remember a conversation I had with somebody from PAL flight ops dept last year. He told me that in case the Siberian Airspace fails they still have options on the table to work with. I basically forgot about Etihad. When it does failed, they dropped the A330 intended for EU, about five of them, to which they already did last month. And now this Etihad announcement.

The next puzzle is the A340 and the A350. Now if you can figure how are they connected?
1. The Siberian airspace failed thus cancellation of the last 5 A333s.
2. PR acquired more A340 to be a stop gap measure/ in lieu of the 5 canceled once the A350 can be delivered?

Currently there's only 1 undisclosed buyer of the A350. Unless EY will lend/lease some of its ordered A350s to PR.

Well I'm not really good with the technical aspect but I'm thinking, the A350 will be able to seat more pax or equal to A330 but less than the B777 unlike the 787 which is smaller compared to A350/A330. Range wise, it's almost the same.
----------------------

I have another question though. I was checking Airbus' website and was comparing the A320 and A321 in terms of cabin width. They're basically the same but what puzzles me is the aisle of the A321 is much smaller than the A320. When wheeling out of food trolley, on an A320, a passenger can squeeze on the side but on an A321, it's impossible. Is someone able to provide an explanation? The best I can think of is the width of the chairs on the A321 are wider by a little bit than the A320.

Re: Airlines in the Philippines

Sky Harbor
Why is it that I have this lingering feeling that RP-C8780 is meant for high-density ME routes?  It would make no sense for PR to order a bare plane if they also previously announced that they ordered an IFE system to go along with it.

(Also, glad to be here, and thank goodness arianespace was found again! :D)
Please help me go to Open Source Bridge 2014: donate today! :D
http://www.gofundme.com/9ytk20

Re: Airlines in the Philippines

bitoy
Same here, thanks for this small forum. Hope to see a lot of die-hard aviation guys here soon.

then it'll bypass the monoclass A330 if that happens.
Have you read the post on the previous page regarding IFEC? I sure heard it personally from someone on the higher position at their planning stage.

Re: Airlines in the Philippines

seven13
Quoting numiX from the neighboring forum, "Well see. Hopefully PAL zest will be profitable soon. Cebu pAcific sustaining it's growth targets. Hope for the best. By the way. Cebu pacifics long haul sked will be released soon. This are the flight launch .aug 2 mnl-Syd-mnl/ June 16 mnl-dmn-mnl /June 18 mnl-ruh-mnl/June 24 mnl-kwi-mnl."

Re: Airlines in the Philippines

Solblanc
Syd? They got rights? I thought only melbourne's second airport had space under the bilateral.

Re: Airlines in the Philippines

seven13 wrote
[...]

I guess they are the same. It could be the seat design. Both the 320 and the 321 are configured at 18". The A321 is however more cramp than the A320 which has better legroom at 31.

then it'll bypass the monoclass A330 if that happens.
And that means you have wider seat when you ride the A320 or the A321 than the mono A330. A 16.7 seat is not good for long haul because of potentially developing Deep vein thrombosis (DVT). You may have to sit still on that configuration. But majority of the Filipinos are small size 5'4"s so these might be ok, but its not gonna work out for me and those who may have longer legs and above that height.

By the way, long haul standard seat width is 18. The 787 at 9 has 17.5. I will gladly not take this plane in excess of 6 hours. The 350 however is better at 18. Most of the 787 operators have it at 8 (2-4-2) abreast.

Solblanc wrote
Syd? They got rights? I thought only melbourne's second airport had space under the bilateral.
Yes. But at most they can have is 3x a week rather than daily which they requested for the A330. Under the expanded Air agreement with Australia, there is a cap which applies to all Australian major airports. Services to secondary airports like Avalon Airport in Melbourne, are unrestricted. Meaning, they can fly daily there. But what airline would want to fly in Avalon when the market is there in Tullamarine?

Under the new arrangements, Australia-based airlines and Philippine-based airlines are currently able to offer up to 6,000 seats each way per week between major Australian destinations (Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and/or Sydney) and Manila and/or Clark in the Philippines. PAL already got the 4,500 seats.

Re: PAL-Etihad Partnership

Evodesire
I am trying to connect the A350 story. What is the likelihood that PAL would put in orders for the A359?

Re: EX3 on A333X

Evodesire
Will they also install provisions on the seats where the passenger can mount their wireless IFEs just like that in the picture?

BTW, I read from Sonnyville at SSC that one of the reason of PAL's losses is its identity and branding. The merging of PR and 2P, plus PR being turned into a hybrid and semi-LCC is quite disappointing its passengers and even its own employees.

Will PAL continue to push on this hybrid branding? If they continue with this strategy, do you see them going down the drain further or will they return to profitability soon?

Re: EX3 on A333X

Its not a question of likelihood anymore. Its a question of WHEN.

Talking about PAL identity crisis, there is no crisis. What you are experiencing now is the transition phase as both airline consolidate operations. Nothing more nothing less. Ang himself told this would happen in 2012. And so it does now. You can see PAL A321 flying to Zamboanga and GAP flying to Seoul.

I am not a good supporter of 9 abreast A330. It was not designed that way. But it is now the norm for budget travelers. I did say that 6 of this aircraft is ME bound, typically to cater to the OFW horde and 4 is intra-asia.

I did mentioned the survey they've done before and almost all of the OFW said that ticket cost is the main consideration for flying the airline. Anything inside is all but a bonus.

I also discussed in the other forum that PAL already disclosed its vision for the future. And its no way like Cathay Pacific or Singapore Airlines which caters premium class passengers. PAL will cater to the Filipino taste, low cost. At least to the majority of all its passengers.

We might not like it but that is the business plan and it fills the plane and bring in their revenues.

Europe, America, and Australia, and to some extent Japan and Korea are unique in themselves and PAL will employ premium cabins to these sectors.

Re: EX3 on A333X

romantic_guy08
Someone posted in SSC that PR is installing wireless IFE on its fleet and it'll be called InAir Player...

And PR has some sort of teaser regarding "Are you ready for something MAD?"...

Madrid?

Re: EX3 on A333X

Solblanc
Madrigal singers daw, haha

Re: EX3 on A333X

seven13
romantic_guy08 wrote
Someone posted in SSC that PR is installing wireless IFE on its fleet and it'll be called InAir Player...

And PR has some sort of teaser regarding "Are you ready for something MAD?"...

Madrid?
If you use instagram and you search #philippineairlines you'll see one particular collage with a team testing out InAir on an A33E. It probably might be C8760.

Re: EX3 on A333X

Evodesire
Isn't "InAir" PAL's internet services?

LH to do Long Haul Low Cost

Evodesire

Re: EX3 on A333X

ElmerJrG
PR's provider is called "OnAir" which 5J uses as well..

"InAir" probably runs on the same network but it's for local content streaming..

Re: EX3 on A333X

Evodesire
Is this "InAir" thing a piece of hardware?

Re: Airlines in the Philippines

seven13
FYI to everyone, tonight's B777 service to LAX will be operated by C7775, as PR102 :)

Re: Airlines in the Philippines

romantic_guy08
So  RP-C7775 is back from hibernation/storage

Re: EX3 on A333X

Evodesire
So I guess the A350 is already confirmed, its just a matter of signing the MOA and a press release?

Thanks for clarifying the "identity crisis" issue too, but does PAL have any plans of beefing up their marketing? Being a marketing guy for almost half my life, I do see that they have a huge problem with their ads and marketing strategy. I am comparing PAL's social media alone vs Cebu Pacific and it seems like PR's social media is so less interesting vs Cebu Pacific's which is laiden with good content. PAL's FB shows nothing but prices, no milestones, nothing to show its audience that they are a strong airline. 5J even writes articles about their destinations, including facts.
12345 ... 100