Airlines In The Philippines III

This is volume III. What a journey it has been. It took us five years to complete the older thread. I hope we can continue relevant discussions about Airlines in the Philippines from April 16, 2024.

Firing the salvo, PAL is set to announce the replacement of the A330 later this year with first delivery in 2027. While we await the announcement lets see the choices they have.

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

meronbopis
Is there a possibility that they would split the order across the two Boeing 787 models.

Either:

Combo A-788/789, former regional routes and routes to Australia/Hawaii/Israel, latter to thinner intercontinental routes ie USA/Europe.   In this scenario, PR would keep a handful of 77W to serve Dubai/Doha/Dammam/Riyadh and maybe Abu Dhabi and Jeddah.  No reconfig of 77W needed.  A330s go away

Combo B-789/78K, former to thinner intercontinental routes to US/Europe. Latter to the Middle East/Australia.  In this scenario 77W would be completely withdrawn from service and some 330s stay behind for Korea/Singapore/Japan/Israel

Cant imagine they would have three 787 models co-existing in their fleet ala United, albeit it would be kinda cool.

Not sure freighter would be viable now based on the tanking of Air Cargo as of late.

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

Evodesire
If they decide on the 787, it may most likely be a split between 787-9 and 787-10, with the latter acting as a high density direct replacement of their current A330s.

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

Evodesire
So I guess there is a lot to expect from the PAL widebodies this year. They will also announce their decision to convert three A350-1000 options into firm orders, which is a most likely yes.

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

JNC03
Split 787 orders between -10 and -9 is highly possible

For Airbus A359 is the only option unless PAL decides to use A339 on high dense routes

When more Boeing 77W started to leave the fleet, they will have no Boeing on their fleet unless they also include the aircraft manufacturer on narrowbody order option

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

Evodesire
Can also be a mix of A359 and 787-9. But then again, anything can happen. Mix of 787-9 and 787-10. A mix of A350-900s, A330-900s, and 787-9s. But I do see a high possibility of the 787 entering. Of course, we still need a Boeing.

Airbus offered A350F but PAL is still studying it

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

JNC03
Philippine Airlines in April and May 2024 plans to operate RP-C7783 on Manila – Hong Kong route. The ex Garuda aircraft will operate PR318/319 service on following dates: 19APR24, 26APR24, 29APR24, 10MAY24, 17MAY24.
with flight number PR318/PR319

7783 is also scheduled to operate Manila – Vancouver service on 3 of 7 weekly flights, starting today (17APR24).

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

PAL 747
Any news on the following PAL planes? According to flightradar24.com, these birds haven't flown anywhere.

B777-300ER:
RP-C7776

A330-300:
RP-C8763
RP-C8780

A321:
RP-C9930
RP-C9932
RP-C9933
RP-C9935
RP-C9937
RP-C9938
RP-C9924

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

JNC03
7776 will return to the lessor

A330 maintenance I think

For the A321ceos, PAL will reconfigure them but I dont have any infor when will they start to recon each A321ceos in their fleet

A321neos suffers from PW engine issues

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

fd20
With Air Canada now flying to SIN and BKK, is there a possibility of a MNL flight anytime soon?

Thank you JNC03 for the info!

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

Evodesire
JNC03 wrote
18 A321ceos to be recon beginning 2025.

Philippine Airlines is set to receive a significant capital injection. PAL Holdings has secured approval from the Securities and Exchange Commission to increase its authorized capital to P30 billion, more than doubling the existing P13.5 billion.

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

JNC03
Bangsamoro Airways, a pioneering airline based in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM), will begin flying across the region on April 24, 2024.

Bangsamoro Airways, operated by Federal Airways Incorporated, aims to connect mainland BARMM to its island provinces to make the provision of significant services accessible, strengthen bureaucracy and logistics, and bolster the region’s economy, tourism, and employment, among others.

In an interview with Bangsamoro Board of Investments (BBOI) Chairperson Mohammad Pasigan on Tuesday, April 16, the Airways will initially fly to Zamboanga City and Sulu Province and cater to six and ten passengers, respectively, including the aviators.

It is expected to extend its services to the municipalities of Sibutu and Mapun in Tawi-Tawi after three months of operation and to Kuta Kinabalu, Malaysia, one year later.

https://bangsamoro.gov.ph/news/latest-news/new-airline-to-fly-across-barmm/

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

PAL 747
BKK is seasonal during winter months while SIN probably depends on business traffic (plus both BKK and SIN are Star Alliance hubs for TG & SQ) and transfers from India. Also, the reason AC started SIN was because SQ recently ended YVR.

https://onemileatatime.com/news/singapore-airlines-axes-vancouver-flights/#why_cant_singapore_airlines_make_canada_work

The likelihood of AC flying to Manila from Vancouver isn't high. AC would rather deploy a plane where the yields are more profitable.

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

JNC03
Is A330neo still viable for PAL's next widebody order for ME routes? or buy 787-10 instead together with 789 for mid to long haul flights. Buying 789-78X will result to more discount from Boeing and GE too

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

The single engine option (P&W) was an eye opener in the industry. Arguably you save a lot on a single choice. The opposite holds true when they bogged down. PAL learned that lesson too. CFM saved them. CEB learned it the hard way. APG not so.

I would argue they settle for a diverse engine this time. Not just RR. And for that I think the -10 is better suited for ME and regional network than the neo,  density & cargo wise, while -9 is better suited for EU and NA going forward.

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

JNC03
Airbus had a change in leadership just now

The new CEO Jeff Knittel is a former exec of Jetblue and BA

Will this affect PAL's future orders with Airbus?

Re: Airlines In The Philippines III

JNC03
Will PAL configure 78X like ANA or SQ?

Or will they have a unique config of it since they are for ME and high demand routes
123