New SMC Airline

majaba
Very interesting ! From: https://centreforaviation.com/analys...irlines-329701

San Miguel may launch Caticlan based airline
San Miguel is also considering establishing its own airline and acquiring aircraft that are capable of operating longer international routes without further extension of the runway. The new airline would be based in Caticlan and focus on international routes of up to four or five hours. The new airline could also potentially compete in the domestic market.

San Miguel has been discussing the 737 MAX 7 with Boeing. Embraer will obviously promote the E190 and Bombardier – the CSeries. Any of these aircraft would give San Miguel’s new airline subsidiary a competitive advantage, since they are capable of operating routes from Caticlan to several potentially viable destinations in East Asia that could not be reached with the A320.

I wonder if they have a chance?

New SMC Airline

Its more like a remote possibility, particularly now that they were out of the airline business. They do have a plane and AOC. I already heard that plan before PAL in 2012. While they have deep pockets I personally doubt if they could.

Re: New SMC Airline

Richard
Why, besides deep pockets they seem to have a good strategy with new aircraft capable of running full loads on shorter runways for longer stretches of 4-5 hours. That sound like a good niche doesn´t it?

If they keep the runway shorter than planned (1800m now instead of 2100/2300m after prolongation out to both sides off the sea), it might work and generate good basic income to start a new airline.

I personally would love to see the C-Series of Bombardier flying the Philippine flag.

New SMC Airline

No its not a good niche. You have to consider the market size and the competition to make it work. And it is already adequately served by airlines, domestic wise. To tell you frankly, its not even a good strategy.

Re: New SMC Airline

Richard
OK, if you think so. I don´t have the insight to really judge. Let´s see if it materializes at all.
And who knows, in the end PAL and/or 5J may just pick up the idea themselves. Thanks for your view and opinion.

Re: New SMC Airline

FrankFransic
Navigating the aviation industry requires more than just deep pockets, and the idea seems like a remote possibility, especially given their exit from the airline business. It echoes a familiar plan from 2012, and skepticism arises about their ability to execute successfully. Let's see if they can defy the odds and turn this vision into reality! ✈️🤔